CTD - Do I need to drop Frostfall?

nrot

Sorry for the long post, I tried to be as succinct as I could.

Been at this off and on now for a long time, trying to start a new campaign with a CTD free setup. Lots of reading, a couple reinstalls, tons of testing, and so on. I thought I had what should be a pretty stable mod build, until during testing on a new game, I ran into a CTD after 1.5 hours of playing and found several hundred KB worth of papyrus errors. The bulk of those errors are coming from something called "DE_Compatbility.psc" and "de_ep_monitor".

Although I can't find a definitive authority anywhere I look (descriptions, readmes, google, etc), I believe these 2 scripts are related to Frostfall, and the most likely suspect in my CTDs. I tried disabling Frostfall and playing, and sure enough the errors go away. I really like Frostfall however, so if by chance I'm wrong, or there is something I can do to get rid of these errors (or vastly reduce their frequency) while keeping the mod, that would be great. I know papyrus isn't the perfect tool to determine the cause of CTD's, but its the best I have to work with.

I realize this is a lot of information being thrown into a post, and if someone doesn't feel compelled to sift through it all, I understand. I'm just frustrated and at the limits of what I can figure out on my own, any help is appreciated.

Here is random portion of papyrus errors related to this (I can get ~100 pages worth of similar errors per hour of gameplay):

[03/04/2013 - 10:20:50PM] warning:
Assigning None to a non-object variable named
"::temp6"
stack:
[alias _DE_CompatibilityPlayer on
quest _DE_Compatibility
(0F0286F3)]._de_compatibility.RunStartupCheck() -
"_DE_Compatibility.psc" Line 534
[_DE_Main_1_6
(0F015CAE)]._de_epmonitor_1_6.MainLoop() - "_de_epmonitor_1_6.psc"
Line 402
[_DE_Main_1_6 (0F015CAE)]._de_epmonitor_1_6.OnUpdate() -
"_de_epmonitor_1_6.psc" Line 357
[03/04/2013 -
10:20:50PM] Error: Cannot call ArrayRemoveBlankFormsXT() on a None
object, aborting function call
stack:

Here is my BOSS report:

SKSE Plugins:

SKSE Version: 0.1.6.9
CFM_extensions.dll
Fuz Ro D'oh.dll Version: 5.1.6.112
SKSE_Elys_Uncapper.dll Version: 1.14.3.0
TKHitStop.dll

Recognized Plugins:

Skyrim.esm Active
Update.esm Active
Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Delev, Relev}}
Dawnguard.esm Active
HearthFires.esm Active
JSwords.esm Active
Lanterns Of Skyrim - All In One - Main.esm Active
SPIKE.esm Active
WinterholdDestruction.esm Active
HighResTexturePack01.esp Active
HighResTexturePack02.esp Active
HighResTexturePack03.esp Active
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp Active
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp Active
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp Active
Unofficial High Resolution Patch.esp Active
Chesko_Frostfall.esp Active
Better Dynamic Snow.esp Active
Improved Combat Sounds v2.2.esp Active
StaticMeshImprovementMod.esp Active
Chesko_WearableLantern.esp Active
Dead Body Collision.esp Active
DungeonQuestAwareness.esp Active
Lanterns Of Skyrim - All In One - RCRN Classic.esp Active
Note: Use only one Lanterns Of Skyrim - All In One esp.
PilgrimsDelight.esp Active
Radiant and Unique Potions Poisons and Booze.esp Active
Skyrim Flora Overhaul.esp Active
SwiftPotion.esp Active
DEAsprint&jump.esp Active
Note: Won't work if sprint/jump key is remapped to mouse button.
Footprints.esp Active
SkyRealism - Simple Save System - 10 min.esp Active
Note: Only use one SkyRealism - Simple Save System*.esp
WetandCold.esp Active
SkyUI.esp Active
iHUD.esp Active
SaveHotKeyMCM.esp Active
Cloaks.esp Active
1nivWICCloaks.esp Active
Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Relev}}
1nivWICSkyCloaksPatch.esp Active
JSwordsDistributionBalancePlugin.esp Active
One handed Crossbow.esp Active
Dr_Bandolier.esp Active
Dr_BandolierDG.esp Active
BandolierForNPCMasterFile.esp Active
BandolierForNPCsWIC_V2.esp
BandolierForNPCsCheaperBandoliers_BalancedWeight_Dawnguard.esp Active
Lock Overhaul.esp Active
DeadlyDragons.esp Active
BetterQuestObjectives.esp Active
Guard Dialogue Overhaul.esp Active
NonEssentialChilds.esp Active
SFO - Expanded Diversity.esp Active
Note: Uninstall old version of Skyrim Flora Overhaul if using SFO - Expanded Diversity.esp
dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp Active
dD-Dawnguard-EBT Patch.esp Active
UnreadBooksGlow.esp Active
Drinking Fountains of Skyrim.esp Active
ExpandedWinterholdRuins.esp Active
dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Reduced.esp Active
Note: Ragdolls will conflict with other mods that change the skeleton.nif. Check Custom Skeleton Replacers for compatibly with other skeleton.nif.
HitStop.esp Active
Dual Wield Parrying_SKSE.esp Active
Note: Use only one Dual Wield Parrying*.esp
SkyRe_Main.esp Active
Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Relev, Delev}}
Warning: The SkyRe has many conflicts with other mods. Please read the readme before playing with mod. This will prevent many problems. Read ithere.
Note: If lockpicikng is not work then try to delete 'interface\lockpickingmenu.swf'
Note: If you have a problem with aiming try to install this mod.
Note: To make aiming easier, recommend to add the following lines to Skyrim.ini:
Note: [Actor]
Note: fVisibleNavmeshMoveDist=12288.0000
Note: [Combat]
Note: f1PArrowTiltUpAngle=0.64
Note: f3PArrowTiltUpAngle=0.64
Note: fMagnetismStrafeHeadingMult=0.0
Note: fMagnetismLookingMult=0.0
SkyRe_Combat.esp Active
SkyRe_EncounterZones.esp Active
SkyRe_EnemyAI.esp Active
SkyRe_EnemyScaling.esp Active
Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Relev}}
SkyRe_StandingStones.esp Active
SkyRe_Survivalism.esp Active
GDO_Plugin_SkyRe.esp Active
dD-No Spinning Death Animation.esp Active
3DNPC.esp Active
RealisticNeedsandDiseases.esp Active
RND_Dawnguard-Patch.esp Active
RND_DrinkingFountains-Patch.esp Active
RND_HearthFires-Patch.esp Active
RND_USKP-Patch.esp Active
UFO - Ultimate Follower Overhaul.esp Active
Note: For safe install need dismiss all your followers, save, delete all included mods, load again, save and install UFO. For safe uninstall or update see special instructions on mod page.
UFO - Dawnguard AddOn.esp Active
UFO - Heartfire AddOn.esp Active
Slightly Reduced Distance NPC Greetings.esp Active
Follower Trap Safety.esp Active
moveitLWT.esp Active
SkyRe_Races.esp Active
WATER.esp Active
WATER Plants.esp Active
RND_Water-Patch.esp Active
House Markers.esp Active
Bashed Patch, 0.esp Active
ReProccer.esp Active
The following plugins were not found in the masterlist, and must be positioned manually, using your favourite mod manager or by using BOSS's user rules functionality. You can submit unrecognised plugins for addition to the masterlist directly from this log by clicking on a plugin and supplying a link and/or description of its contents in the panel that is displayed.
Cloaks - Dawnguard.esp Active
UFOtweak.esp Active
Acquisitive Soul Gems.esp Active
BFT Ships and Carriages - HF.esp Active
KWTelescope.esp Active
BetterQuestObjectives-Dawnguard.esp Active
BetterQuestObjectives-SkyRePatch.esp Active

I manually moved my bashed patch and reproccer to the bottom of the load order, since BOSS likes to move all unrecognized plugins below them. I've only made modifications to my INI files which are recommended by the latest STEP guide, and haven't done anything crazy like changing ugrids.
So, with that information in mind... do you think dropping Frostfall is the only fix to my CTD problem? My hope is that there is some simple oversight, some minor change, some patch or setting I may have overlooked, that would make everything play nice together (although I'm not holding my breath). I've already removed many of the mods I used to have in my load order, and do not plan on dropping any more unless one is pin pointed as being the cause of major issues (as I believe Frostfall is).
Please do not worry about suggesting reverting to an older save, or cleaning my current if you believe it is corrupted. It is already a new playthrough and only for testing. I'll be starting a new game when all CTDs/errors have been resolved as best they can. Thanks for any help you can provide.

I had a similar cause of papyrus messages with better vampires (assigning blablablubb to tempX). The mod didnt worked and it was a failed install (I followed exactly the install procedure author suggested, but still...)

Nonetheless papyrus entries rarely have anything todo with ctds.

IMO you should get frostfall running (use the mod page for help to install it and to check if its running 100%) and than try to somehow find the cause of the ctd.

Which is next to impossible with a non reproducable ctd every couple of hours in such a game system (I see you have RCRN, a custom skeleton and prob a lot of other things which dont show up in the bosslog).

I also would look into SIMM/RCRN/lightning mods if those have conflicts in meshes.

There wasn't a problem related to Frostfall installation, I was able to have run the mod and benefit from its features. The issue I'm trying to address is the random CTDs. I would have to disagree and say papyrus entries can indeed be related to random CTDs, or at least they can provide clues as to what may be causing the problem. Script heavy mods can tax the game engine and cause random CTDs, and given my logs, that is where the evidence currently seems to lead. Its certainly not a perfect method however, which is why I was hoping there might be evidence of something missing or misconfigured that I did not notice.

The RCRN message you see was a lightning style option for Lanterns of Skyrim (I liked the glow in the pics). I am not currently running RCRN or any other lightning mods. That fact made it clear to me that I shouldn't have choosen that lighting option, and have since replaced it. I'm not sure what you were referring to as far things not showing up in the BOSS log, the only utilities I'm running besides BOSS and SKSE are Mod Organizer, Wrye Bash, and a Skyproc. I'm not using any sort of graphical injector, optimizer, ENB, or anything like that.

Thank you for your thoughts though, it did point out to me that I did not make the best selection for Lanterns of Skyrim. So that is one potential issue resolved.

You use dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Reduced.esp Active which is either a patch for enhanced blood texture or the mod itself. In both cases you need a custom skeleton which supports RRF and skeletons dont show up in NMM. You prob already installed the custom one which the mod provides or youre using the original with RFF (which prob doesnt work).

An example from some days ago: I ran around in the landscape and suddenly ctd. Load game and again and again, reproducable. No clue why. With tfc I managed to enter the area with the ctds and spotted a kahjit. Now its surely not the first I saw but this guy killed my game. After some tries I found the case being in me using RRF with a custom skeleton which I installed like 1 week earlier. Changed skeleton and everything ok. Thats something you wont see in NMM, MO or wrye bash.

Frostfall should have a module to check script lag. Find it and look how much it is. I use convienant horses and ran into the scriptlagmonitor of that mod (and checking what this monitor is, found a post saying frostfall has a similar one). Btw for the feature with the quivers at the belt you also need a custom skel.

Anyway, thats my thoughts. Maybe ripple makes an appearance in this thread. Hes the guy who knows boss and wyre bash and is overall a lot more experienced than I.

Actually, RRF & EBT are both independent mods from one another. Although RRF does come recommended by dDefinder1 in the EBT description, as he created both mods. According to the author, RRF modifies the existing skeleton .nif files, although I do not see any mention of needing another mod's custom skeletons to be installed for RRF to work properly. Is this what you were referring to, something like XP32 Maximum Skeleton? If so, I've never used such a mod. In your example, when you say you changed the skeleton, do you mean you simply deleted the mod with the custom skeleton and let RRF modify the vanilla skeletons, or you started using a new custom skeleton and RRF modified that one instead?

When it comes to script lag and FF I wasn't able to locate what the name of this monitor might be, I tried a ctrl+f for 'lag' with no results and nothing else labeled I saw seems to fit. It has the 'monitor' scripts I mentioned earlier, but they don't seem to be related to tracking lag of other FF scripts. I never used the FF patch to move the quivers to the belt, so I don't think that came into play in my particular setup. In the end however, I decided it wasn't worth all the headaches and have gotten rid of Frostfall for the time being. Also, yup Ripple is very knowledgeable and has already helped me more than once.