We are aware aware of an issue with authentication on the site. See our status page for details. ×

MO2 overwrite

DarkKane555

so I clean all DLCs then I have this icon like some kind of warning There are currently files in your Overwrite directory I going to folder overwrite and I have two folders FNVEdit Backups FNVEdit Cache so what should I do now how to fix this problem I am using this first time Mod Organizer 2 can someone help please https://imgur.com/a/qgWjVoS

Edited by DarkKane555

As I understand it (I don't use the MO series of managers, so take this as a "starting point" to your own investigations) the "Overwrite" folder contains files that replace those loaded earlier by the "load order" of any given profile. I would expect the "warning" is because the files in the "Overwrite" folder are date-timestamped older than the ones in your current profile "load order" (which is usually the reverse of expectations).

First of all, the community does not recommend "cleaning" any of the published Bethesda game files such as the DLCs. Even mods should be left to their authors to do so, as they are the people best informed as to what "edits" are actually needed. (Such recommendations vary by game, mostly based upon knowledge at the time of development.)

That said, to correct your current problem, I would recommend you remove the "cleaned DLCs" from your profile. But you can remove (move, rename, or delete) the files currently "warned" about in the "Overwrite" folder if you do not want them to be loaded "later" replacing those in the profile. Personally I would look to see if MO doesn't document how to do so, but you should be able to use the Window's "File Explorer" if necessary. (The FNVEdit folders are specific to that tool and not MO2.)

-Dubious-

I use MO2! Maybe you've discovered by now - the Overwrite folder is where MO2 will put everything that a tool produces when run from the executables menu. This way you control exactly what is changed and how by intercepting it for inspection and manual sorting/placement into the very robust virtual file system that this software creates to protect your actual Fallout installation.

The big warning flag on the organizer is to make sure you know something has shown up here, it doesn't indicate there is something wrong. Your options for dealing with the contents of the folder are these:

• Add to existing mod: Drag the files over a mod already in your list on the left pane. You would do this in the case of creating a modified .esp with FNVEdit for instance. Typically you will want to select "Merge" when doing this to preserve anything not updated specifically.

• Create a new mod: Right click on the Overwrite at the bottom of the mod list and select the "Create" option. Name the mod whatever is appropriate and it will add it as a new mod in the left hand pane. Be aware you will need to put it where it goes load-order wise. You would use this in the case of brand new content generated, like when using FNVLODGen to generate new LOD resources from LOD replacers/fixes.

• Clear Overwrite: This just deletes everything in the overwrite folder. This won't hurt anything, and if you don't know why there is anything there in the first place it is safe to do.

I'm not even close to being an expert but my advice I guess is to keep reproducing the issue until you know what is showing up there and why! Modding with a mod organizer is definitely tricky despite appearing to be straight forward, but everything begins to makes sense once you become familiar with the tools and it gets really fun, if not exhausting and mind bending. Also, you can't really break anything that a reinstall won't fix, which is the work of a few minutes if you backup your .ini's and your mods. Make sure you test your game after serious mods installed or every couple small mods and take advantage of the excellent organization features in the left pane of MO2. You don't want to spend hours and hours modding only to determine something has become sideways somewhere while you were trucking along :)