Do people actually ride mounts in Solsteim

Shadohz

• 2 weeks later...

PC gamer here, I tried it once and discovered I couldn't pick an alchemy ingredient unless I dismounted first. So riding, dismounting then remounting just to pick an ingredient was too much faffing about for my tastes so I don't use horses. If I'm in a 'hurry' to perform specific quest objectives I fast travel.

I used to think there weren't any mounts in Solstheim, unless you had the Summon Arvak spell, learned, (only if sought and found!), during Dawnguard.

Nonetheless, just last week, I experienced a weird event: Skulvar Sable Hilt showed up right outside the abandoned lodge where Baldor was held prisoner, and his dialogue options included offering to sell me a horse.

I know Skulvar can get kidnapped, and the radiant quest system may place him in Solstheim, but there he was free and walking around.

Though I've played SR 1000 hours, I was too stunned to take him up on his offer to sell me a horse. Besides, Baldor was waiting. . . .

This may be a script from one of my extended follower-mods, but I liked it, because I like the horse mechanics, and the horse graphics.

Sadly, SR kills horses rather freely and easily. And they do not have the sense to leave combat, though you can get a horse-mod to alter their behaviors.

I do enjoy the challenge of firing a bow or striking from horseback. If your bow is OP, then you can protect your horses. I like to help Sadr with Sapphire's debt, so I get an endless supply of horses out of Riften.