Nvidia Physx on the ps4

Thor.

• 1 month later...

Checkout this, i had to post this on here, real time water anyone.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/154172-nvidias-physx-has-finally-cracked-realistic-real-time-rendered-water

I am hoping same devs are going to use this type of Physx on the ps4.

Edited by Thor.

I saw that water demo and was extremely impressed with it.

Unfortunately there is no way we will see it any time soon. It took a GTX 580 just to handle the small amount of water with some relatively simple collision and 580 is more powerful than any of the next gen consoles (maybe they will squeeze a bit more out of the PS4 than a 580 with console optimization and all). It would probably take quad-sli titans to implement that kind of fluid simulation into a modern game and even than the particle limit would have to be limited and bodies of water still couldn't be made with that (tessellated meshes/shaders would still have to be used). I could see it used for things like wave splashes, jumping in water, blood, maybe things like aquariums as shown in the demo but nothing large scale unless they made Wave Simulator 2014 or something ;D . I figure if you take a game like hitman absolution or Crysis 3 which roughly takes a GTX 670 or 7950 to run at ultra 1080p, than add the PhysX water tech that requires a 580 just to handle a few fish tanks full in real time it would be just to demanding for modern hardware.

Tech demos are nice and all but we don't get to see that stuff for another decade. We still don't have the hair polygon count for playermodels like Nvidias Wolfman demo for the geforce 4 ti back in 2002.

Their 'nearly 2 tflops' puts it in between a 7850 and a 7870, closer to the lesser of the two, not a 79xx series card. Since they are built on amd cards and the tflops spec is all they released about it the highest it could be is a beefed up 7850 (unless they decreased a 7870's performance). Either way, the 78xx series is still a fair ways away from a 79xx. Not that the PS4 will be even close to low end on release, it just isn't as powerful as a gtx 580. For space and power drain it may be using a 7900m series card but from the specs it isn't likely using a full desktop 7900 series card.

Remember it is using its own firmware and architecture, in a sense it won't have bottlenecks, like a operating system would.

Also with it being amd fx based cpu, it can be overclocked as well, if it supports turbo.

Edited by Thor.

I know what you are saying, developers do wonders pushing consoles as far as they can go. It truly is amazing, if you built a computer with xbox 360/ps3 hardware it wouldn't even be able to launch crysis 3 (exaggeration) let alone play it stable. The only have to develop for one graphics card/cpu combo and the OS is dedicated for playing game. I do however think that games will continue to use either shader based water, pre-rendered water or tessellated meshes and will not be able to handle real time large scale fluid simulation (only now are consoles even able to use adaptive tessellation).

Heat is the main bottleneck. Consoles have to be able to stay cool, even in the cramped spots where consumers may put them. People can oc a desktop to run stable at over 80*C but if they had the console stay at temps that high just to play games Sony would have melted system sent back to them left, right and center. Most people would be fine with their PS4 going into a turbo mode but you have to remember that with a product expected to be used by tens of millions of people there will be, unfortunately, some people who don't know too much about computers using them and as a result put the system on top of a blanket or in a small drawer with its fans blocked. Consumer safety will always come before a system starts to turbo to 'risque' temperatures.

A single 28nm gpu can only do so much. The titan is pretty much there and will not likely see Nvidia's new PhysX simulation in any large scale. (Nvidia reported the titan to be '3x more powerful' than the gpu in the ps4 so no amount of optimization will bridge that gap)

I am not in any way bashing the PS4. It has impressive hardware and there will really be some great titles released on it with superb graphics (i.e. watchdogs), but the ps4 will not likely see that kind of technology. PC's will not likely see it on that level for a long time either. As stated earlier, we still don't have player models with hair density or poly counts shown in a 'real time' 2002 tech demo.

But, but metal gear ground zeroes and Phantom pain is a good example, and its going to be released on the ps3.

its all about how efficient the engines going to be

:thumbsup:

If it looks anything like that on the PS3, I will eat my video card. Seriously, that's almost certainly pre-rendered PS4 footage, or real-time PS4 footage if it's an exceedingly well tuned engine.

Edited by Rennn