Skyrim is to quiet

Lonza

Granted, I have a different sound card (Realtek), but I recently experienced a similar issue. Normally, Skyrim is quite loud on my speakers, but after updating my drivers a week ago or so, I noticed a huge dip in volume. Turns out that some of my settings had been reconfigured after updating, so I went into the speaker icon in my taskbar, went into the mixer, and re-applied the settings I had active beforehand, namely Equalizer and Loudness Equalization, which bumped my volume right back up to where I had it before. I'm not sure if you have similar enhancements at your disposal, but you might want to look into that, Lonza. As for Skyrim thinking you have a 5.1 system, I've experienced that, as well. I've managed to fix it for the most part, but character's voices will still clip out here and there if I turn away from them in conversation or just run by in passing. You've probably already done this, if you have the option at your disposal, but go into your sound card's audio manager (or whatever you use to configure it) and make sure the speakers are configured for 2/2.1 surround. And make sure your default audio format is set to 24 bits / 44100 Hz.

Wow, I thought it was just me. I've noticed the same low-volume thing. I'll have to try some of the suggestions. I have a Dell laptop, and unfortunately the volume +/- buttons don't work while in-game (they require fn + one of the f-keys), so I have to alt-tab out and back in to try to guess-timate the volume. It's really annoying. For some reason adjusting the brightness works fine in-game though.

Tried out your suggestions, and did some other fiddlef*#@, but nothing happend. So, I tested my old amplifier on the morrow - works very well now. Its really satisfying, cause its producing a much better gamefeeling. I still think, that it is a software issue, but I was able to fix it hardware-based, so perhaps everyone, who's hav'n same prob, should try new speakers or something else.
In the meantime I installed some soundmods like FMO; now the game is extremely compelling!!

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/29881 < instead of tailking about it I used "search" and found this, wow how clever am i.

Lovely. You've nailed it down to 24,240 mods.

As for using Loudness Equalization, it does increase the volume, but it really messes up the stereo system. Like, it's really hard to hear things that are right behind you, and often you can't tell if someone is to the left of you or in front of you.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/29881 < instead of tailking about it I used "search" and found this, wow how clever am i.

Lovely. You've nailed it down to 24,240 mods.

As for using Loudness Equalization, it does increase the volume, but it really messes up the stereo system. Like, it's really hard to hear things that are right behind you, and often you can't tell if someone is to the left of you or in front of you.

True, sound is flatter with this fix, but for the voices where most low for me and this fix equilized it.

I can't say I experience the same issue with my set-up. Or, more aptly, with the default volume being as low as it is for me in-game without loudness equalization, I don't have a clear frame of reference to base that off of. Oddly enough, loudness equalization doesn't seem to make a difference whatsoever in how my speakers sound outside of Skyrim. Conversely, if I switch the Equalizer option off, my speakers sound quite tinny and pathetic in general.

I did the loudness equalization trick and it seems like it helps, but something didn't sound quite right -- I think the "flatness" that was mentioned above.

However, a nice trick I picked up from this thread was to shift+tab to be able to use my laptop's volume keys.