Character randomly explodes?

arvint

Hey guys,

Recently got back to fallout new vegas, and got into modding as well (Use Willow, body type 3, and a house mod...a house thats in good springs)..

And after about 5-6 hours into the game, sometimes my characters head randomly explodes and I die. It used to be only when I quick traveled to a location..so I quit the game (on the same save) and re teleported and it was fixed. Just now I was randomely walking though and I suddenly exploded out of no where. Luckily I had a quick save right before it and no matter where i walk or quick travel, my head still explodes.

Any info/help?

Thanks!

Yes :(

And I didnt talk to anyone in the brotherhood, I went straight in there and killed everyone~

Its totally random tho..its been a couple hours now and I havent experienced it again..but it happens every now and then..and it gets annoying :(

Edited by arvint

This is a very old demon of the game, let me assure you. There are a number of theories into what causes this but the most evident cause are Slave collars. Seemingly there is some bug where quests or events involving slave collars trigger a glitch, likely in hard-code more than script, where the PC's head explodes. It got better with the 1.4 patch but not entirely. For a while it was believed that DM caused the bug, it probably has something to do with it or is a trigger, like BoS missions, it involves a slave collar.

Evidently, there is no known fix, perhaps there is one hidden away on Nexus somewhere, but I doubt it. What you can do is load a save from before the bug appeared, delete your other saves as they are inflicted with the bug and it seen that other inflicted saves can make the game inflict the clean save with the bug.

Another thing you might try which had a few reports as a fix, completely disable Dead Money, as in remove all it's files from the data file temporarily (BSA, .NAM, ESM), and load the game up and make a fresh save. You could then try reloading DM, but in my opinion, just keep playing for a couple hours without it and see if your bug gets fixed, that'll tell you for sure.

Be sure to have a correct LO and that your running v1.4 of the game, all files verified. Probably want to be loading from NVSE or FNB4GB also.

Just an interesting thought, perhaps try play with NV stutter remover (needs NVSE), it might have some impact on it, for some reason i'm inclined to think it may help.

Post back when you've tried doing that :smile:

EDIT: For the record, I've never experienced this bug, in a whole 3000+ hours (accumulative) of play over 5 different saves with an extreme LO.

Thanks for the pointers! Ive personally always been a Xbox fallout player..and have never seen this either in the 1000 or so hours i spent on the xbox :(

And this one on my pc has no DLC's either..but Ill try the past save delete thing..and actually now that I think of it it seems like I never had the problem till I wiped out the brotherhood..wether thats the reason or not I don't know, but atleast its not to constant where it makes the game unplayable :)

Thanks!

Cool and no worries. Yes it definitely has something to do with the collars. Just another one of those things we learn to live with :/

Do post back if you manage to get rid of the bug via previous save.

For the most part the patch fixed it, but I've seen it reported still, on fresh and old saves. i was assuming this was with the latest patch though.