What is the worst city in Skyrim?

LordSarcasm

Dawnstar is also kind of sparse for "one of Tamriel's most important ports".....it has 1 dock. If they had added a few more ships...maybe some extra houses.

Another serious case of Lore/Gameplay Dissonance®. :biggrin:

@AlienSensei: It was a relief when I first saw that video. Shows I wasn't the only one taken back the first time I went to Whiterun by such intense display of swag. Ulfric follows pretty close, but on a different way - he hasn't got the moves like Balgruuf. :P

Edited by sisterof

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly? I kinda hate Morthal.

That place seriously has nothing good going for it. A hold capital only marginally larger than Riverwood. No smithy. No general goods store. Bizarrely, it has a magic supply shop... in a city where practicing magic gets you accused of baby eating. They live next to a swamp full of vampires and giant spiders.

I mean, yeah, Winterhold is bunch of run-down shacks but at least they have a valid excuse.

Edited by Relativelybest

Markarth.

Slavery, corruption, abuse of power, extorsion, racism, the bad living conditions of the lower class, and the general disreguard for human life, plus the ongoing conflict in and out of the walls makes it the worse place in skyrim by far, from a moral point of view.

The corruption in Riften, the Harshness of Dawnstar and the Social problems in Windhelm can't compare to what's going on in the Reach.

Honestly, the most boring places:

1) Markarth. yawn

2) Solitude. it's only saving grace is a visit into Pelagius' mind and meeting Sherrogath. That alone did make me consider moving it below Whiterun though. :D

3) Whiterun, outside of the Gray-Mane / Battleborn feud nothing happens here, The only saving grace for this city is when you siege it and when you capture Odahving.

4) Windhelm, a little better. Unhappy Dunmer, stuck up Nords, former TG fence blending in, crazy lunatic butcher on the loose, Aventus performing Black Sacrament.

5) Riften, now we are talking. Mjoll and her stalker, TG, random dumbass thieves getting skewered in the town center, deranged royal family, nutjob mage, Mead worker hocking mead from under Maven's nose, Unruly son put in prison by his own mom, Maven and her corruptness.

Seriously, have no idea how anyone would want to live in the Markarth, Solitude or Whiterun. I get sleepy just thinking about those boring cities.

Honestly, Whitrun is easily my first choice for city to live it. Out of all the cities in Skyrim, it's the only one I keep thinking of as "home." The place is easy to navigate, It has all the essential vendors, a good leader, no corruption or crime to speak of, the people are mostly nice to each other, and so on. Despite leaning more towards the Empire than the Stormcloaks, people like Heimskr are tolerated. So it's a very liberal place by Skyrim standards.

Sure, there's the Battle-Born and Grey-mane fued, but it's not like they are stabbing each other in the streets, and their mostly friendly history together plus the fact that several members (Jon, Olfina, Alfhild) consider the whole affair to be stupid makes the whole thing seem like a temporary quarrel.

But more than that, all other cities just don't feel like places you are supposed to live in. It's wierd, I can't put my finger on why. In Oblivion I was as likely to settle down in Cheydinhal as Anvil or Skingrad or Chorrol. That's why I made a point of buying all the houses; because all cities had something that made me come back.

In Skyrim, Whiterun is the only city that gives me that sort of feeling. I may visit Markarth or Solitude but I never feel like I want to live there, no matter how nice the houses are.

Edited by Relativelybest

Actually, Riften beats Whiterun - hands down.

You get all the drama happening in the city, you get just as easy access to the vendors (actually easier) AND when you just want to get away from it all you just open the back door to your house and chill on the porch.

About the only reason I'd want to live in Whiterun is if I wanted to slaughter deer, because I'd hardly call it hunting with nothing but prairie. At least in The Rift you can really hunt, and if you aren't careful you'll be the one getting hunted.

Actually, Riften beats Whiterun - hands down.

Not very fond of Riften. I love the Rift, but not Riften. I dunno, the place just kinda rubs me the wrong way. Just about the only thing I like about Riften is Madesi, whom I wish I could relocate to Whiterun because, seriously, that guy is alright.

There is something about the layout of Whiterun that just feels inviting, you know?

Edited by Relativelybest

Gonna have to go with Winterhold as well. IMO, a "one time capital of Skyrim" should at least have more stone architecture, maybe a wall surrounding the city...I mean...the college is impressive....unless the Jarl's longhouse is a newer addition and the old Jarl keep fell into the sea. But in that case there should be a LOT MORE rubble in the ocean. The collapse was only 75 years ago or something right?

Dawnstar is also kind of sparse for "one of Tamriel's most important ports".....it has 1 dock. If they had added a few more ships...maybe some extra houses. Then yeah...but at this point I rarely EVER go to Dawnstar.

I realize that I made my previous argument based on a "consumer's" viewpoint and how this city didn't "live up" to what I expected.

But rereading the question its seems as if the OP meant to ask from the viewpoint of a person in Skyrim. If thats the case I gonna go with Markarth. That place is on a fast train to hell and there really isn't a "good' solution to any of its problems.

I mean...cannibal cults, poltergeists, corrupt officials, murderous rebel sleeper agents, a Jarl who refuses to listen to reason, a large rich to poor disparity, a dead oracle, slave labor, blood-thirsty leadership, polluted water full of "blood and silver", perilous saber-cat/bear infested hillsides, the Thalmor inquisition hanging around, GIANT SPIDERS in the walls, a man selling unrefrigerated "questionable" meat products, a private corporation running the jail AND the largest source of income, caverns full of Falmer ready to invade, a man who's nose is FAR too large, Hagravens, a countryside full of insane hill tribes that worship pagan gods and want to kill all the citizenry......and WORST OF ALL....an incompetent blacksmith's apprentice.

Edited by TheLoreSeeker

I agree with most of the others.

Markarth is my least favoured city.

I even turned down the jarls offer to buy a house there, why would I wanna live there?

No thanks, I have beautiful houses in Whiterun, Riften and Solitude, so I don't need your stone hole.

Only reason I travel to Markarth if I'm in the area is for the Dibella temple, I do like to go there from time to time and relax. Sit down in the temple and have a few ales, get pissed and stumble down the stairs to the inn to sleep.

But Since there is a shrine to Dibella in Solitude, I rareley go to Markarth anymore.

If I ever go there it's business only, and like i said a visit to the Dibella temple.