Does anyone know if player made (crafted) enchantments are given the 'MagicDisallowEnchanting' keyword? '

paradoxnrt

If anyone knows the answer, it would greatly help me with a mod I'm trying to create.

Basically, I'm trying to figure out how the game would distinguish between a 'steel sword', a discovered/bought 'steel sword of burning' and a steel sword that the player added a fire damage enchantment to it.

Edited by paradoxnrt

A discovered / bought "steel sword of burning" has its own base form ID: 0004B452 <EnchSteelSwordFire02>

A discovered / bought "steel sword" has its own base form ID: 00013989 <SteelSword>

A player enchanted "steel sword" does not have its own base form. Instead its base form is still 00013989 <SteelSword>. This is why player enchanted items do not apply their effects when an item is equipped via script or other automatic methods. And why this mod exists: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/42839

Player enchanted items are not given the MagicDisallowEnchanting keyword. They cannot be dis-enchanted because the player already knows that effect. There are multiple items in the game with the same learnable effects and they do not suddenly obtain the keyword once the player knows the effect. The game engine simply prevents trying to learn what is already known.

Hope this information helps.

Hi IsharaMeradin! Maybe I should have explained first what I was trying to do....that usually helps lol.

I've always thought it strange that so few NPCs use magic items/armor/weapons....with the exception of a VERY FEW specific actors, most NPCs have 1 or 2 magic items max. I can only think of Miraak and the Ebony Warrior who use more than 2-3 magic items! So my mod is an attempt to introduce a reason for this in a Lore Friendly way.

So, each enchanted item results in a penalty to the actor/player MagicResistance.

Planned penalties are:

1 Enchanted item/armor/weapon = -2% MR penalty

2 Enchanted item/armor/weapon = -4% MR penalty

3 Enchanted item/armor/weapon = -8% MR penalty

4 Enchanted item/armor/weapon = -16% MR penalty

5 Enchanted item/armor/weapon = -32% MR penalty

And so on!

....so while magic item enchantments give you amazing bonuses, they also weaken your resistance to magic. The more enchanted items you use, the more susceptible to magic you become!

THIS is why I am trying to create a way to count the number of enchanted items an actor is using!

Edited by paradoxnrt

Personally, I think the real reason that most NPCs don't use a lot of magic items would be the sheer cost of purchasing them. The average NPC isn't going to go delving into dungeons in the hopes of finding a usable magic trinket or enough stuff to sell in order to buy an item with a specific enchantment.

I do not think you can do what you want to do. Not without maybe an SKSE DLL plugin that can check items out at the engine level.

There is GetEnchantment from SKSE but in order to get the enchantments added by the player, the item must be lying on the ground where it will have a valid reference ID to work with. Once in a container (including inventory) the reference ID is not accessible unless it is persistent. Not really something that can be worked with for your situation.

Well....what I want to do is EASY.....but I was hoping for a more efficient way that doesn't modify so many Effect entries....I'm worried about making other mods incompatible!

Basically, the only way I can see to do this is to:

1) add a Keyword ('Enchanted' for example) to each Enchantment linked Effect (there are about 40 of them).

2) add a perk to all NPCs/Actors + a quest spell (given at game start) for the PC!

3) in this Perk/Spell, have a magic resistance weakness effect abilities assigned based on how many magic items an Actor has equipped....using a condition function like:

-WornApparelKeywordCount 'enchanted' = 1 ----> linked to 2% magic resistance weakness spell (ability)
-WornApparelKeywordCount 'enchanted' = 2 ----> linked to 4% magic resistance weakness spell (ability)

and so on, so on, so on.

So...it's pretty easy to do....I just worry about all those modified Effects and other mods.

Edited by paradoxnrt

Create a script to run in SSEEdit that the user can run on their entire load order. This script would apply the keyword to the enchantment effects including those added by mods. It would also add the perk to the actors as perks cannot be dynamically added to NPCs in-game. Yes, you can write up code in papyrus that will run through the process but the perks won't do anything for the NPCs. This is why many overhaul mods require the use of a patcher on the entire load order.

SSEEdit scripting is beyond me. The one and only that I've released with a mod required major help from someone else.

Well, I could use Spell Perk Item Distributor to assign the conditions->effects to all NPCs/Actors. It's easy to do.

Your suggestion (while doable) would confuse some players who want to use the mod....or maybe I'm underestimating players who would want something like this.....

All that said, thank you for the input! Merry Xmas!

No matter what method you choose, there will always be users who get confused. The best you can do is have detailed instructions clearly posted for users to read and follow.

Personally, I always shrugged off the fact that most NPCs hardly had any magic equipment down to the sheer cost. Have you seen the prices in the shops for enchanted gear? When the player starts out in the same boat as most NPCs (i.e. little to no money), magic gear is out of price range. It is only after the player starts delving into dungeons that they can find or afford to purchase magic gear. Most NPCs won't go through that hassle. Thus most NPCs have very few pieces of magic gear if any.

Your idea is an interesting spin nonetheless. Good luck in your efforts.

Yeah, I agree to some extent....but that doesn't explain why the rich and/or powerful NPCs don't use enchanted gear (or only 1-2 pieces). They clearly have access to it....for example, you often get enchanted gear as rewards. Becoming Thane will give you an enchanted weapon in each Hold.

.....so why do most rich/powerful NPCs NOT use enchanted gear (or only 1-2 items)?

Anyway, my mod will be a fun attempt at giving a Lore based explanation.....with a fun 'reward vs punishment' balance choice. Haha, I LOVE making mods that introduce 'realism + increased difficulty' themes!

NOW, the question IS THIS! Do I make a separate mod....or do I go the easier route, and just bundle the necessary changes into my 'Classic RPG + NPC Perk' mod? ....simply because I don't want to waste time for a mod few will use, I'll probably just add it to my existing mod.

.....so why do most rich/powerful NPCs NOT use enchanted gear (or only 1-2 items)?

The Jarls keep handing them out like candy to anyone who becomes a Thane. Bandits then steal them, kill the thanes or the thanes think the reward is crap and sells it off for a pittance. The Jarl gets wind of the sale, lets the merchant try to sell it for 3 days at a high price then takes it back to give to some other chump who becomes 'thane'. Or they hear of the theft / murder and sends a new chump / thane off to kill the leader.

Hmm... add to the existing but keep the older around in case some do not like the new additions? *shrug* your mod, your call.