rather obvious question about whether i need to restart skyrim when in

cybill

ETA - apologies for topic title bein shortened...i did not realise there was a limit to that

hi folks,

i have just made a new installation of skyrim and am installing mods one at a time to try to keep my game as simple as possible. i am usin nexus mod manager and what i am doin is quittin to desktop and then installing the mod and restartin the game.

this is takin up time as you know, so i was wonderin can i switch to my mod manager while the game is runnin install the mod and then load a save to see how the mod takes effect? or do i have to quit the game each time? i know this is quite an obvious question but i don't want to experiment here as it may cause issues?

also is there a method of startin skyrim straight into a load rather than havin to go to the main menu each time i start the game?

thanks for any help here...all the best people :smile:

If you are not using it, I'd recommend you download and run BOSS after each addition to you mod list. It will optimize your load order, and it also generates a log, which will give you important info about some issues that you may need to address--like needing prerequisite mods, or known conflicts, etc.

If you use skse, you will be able to sidestep one of the loading screens (as long as steam is already connected). Skse is required for a number of popular mods, like SkyUI.

However, to properly add new mods, do will still have to completely quit the game, download the mod you are considering, then close out out NMM and run BOSS for load order. Then open up NMM and either use the skyrim load button (if you are not using skse) or the skse button (if you are.)

There is a bunch of useful information about BOSS and skse if you go to the mods section of the Nexus, the click the wiki button at the top. There is also a lot of info about using NMM,

thanks for the reply! yes i use SKSE but never really messed with BOSS as it confused me (i use to have many many mods installed). But i only have about 10 mods at the minute and am adding them much slower than in the past - so perhaps now is a good time to learn that tool.

How do i skip the loading screen mentioned with SKSE in place? ETA - or do you mean the options menu which starts when you launch skyrim rather than SKSE which launches straight to the game?

The more mods you have, the more you need BOSS, but now is a good time to start. BOSS is a regular program. You download it to your desktop, or wherever.

(the option with the installer is the easiest to use, probably)

The first time it runs it will search for whatever games you have (like Skyrim).

Then you click on the button to let it organize your mods. There is an option to see the log it generates in html or as a text file--if you choose the text file, you can easily copy/paste that to your posts here

You may notice that at the end of the log, there are unrecognized plug-ins. You will need to place them yourself (use the NMM up/down arrows). Usually its enough to put similar mods together (so an unrecognized house mod with a recognized one, for example).

If you dont see the changes made by BOSS in yourr NMM, just close and reopen NMM< and the changes should be reflected there.

If you use the skse button on the NMM interface, then as long as you are already connected to steam, the skse button will take you to the second loading screen (the one with the tips and various pictures of weapons, etc). This is useful, if you make changes to your graphics driver or ini settings, because when you load from the first steam loader, it may reset your graphics and other .ini settings to what it thinks you should have.

There is really good information on BOSS and skse if you click the wiki button on the top of the Nexus Mods page.

In addition, when you download skse, there is a text file in the folder that gives detailed instructions.

thanks for the reply and information. i am gettin a lot more from the game slowly addin mods and bein 100% on what they do.

I guess BOSS has surprised me because it seems so simple to use i thought i must have been missin somethin.