Making a 'stand alone' helm with several colors?

ArtMurder

Alright, I've got a helmet I want to put into skyrim, (its a mod I got permission to use) and right now, it's replacing the iron helmet, and I want this to be stand alone, so you have to craft it or find it. Also, at the moment, it's using the iron armor texture, which does not match the helm at ALL, and I can't figure out how to make it use the texture made for it. It does this when not even in the skyrim folder, and it baffles me, considering the texture it's using is NOWHERE near the nif.

Also, I have 4-5 different colors for this helmet and I want to know if there is a way I can set the game up to use the same nif for all of them, or if I have to set up one nif for each dds im using?

I tried looking for guides, but I cant seem to find one that covers what I want, and I don't want to know much beyond this, since I normally don't mess with armors (I'm a texture and lighting modder mostly)

I'm sure it's something simple I'm just missing.

I have NifScope, Paint.NET, and Photoshop. I really don't know anything about using NifScope though...

Its been a while since I did this but heres my method. Hopefully it works.

Go into the CK. Go to Miscellaneous/texture set. Now you want to create a new texture set for every variant you want. For example "MyIronHelmetTextureBlue" etc. When creating the texture set, point the diffuse and the normal at your custom textures. Make sure your textures are in their own folder and uniquely named to avoid conflicts.

Then open Iron Helmet in the armor section and make changes for each variant you want. Ensure they all have unique ID's so once again "MyIronHelmetBlue". Then in the section at the top middle right where it says Male/World Model. Click the edit button. Then double click the name thats in the section that says 3d Name, for the iron helmet it will be called Helmet:GND:0 then point it at your newly created texture which will be "MyIronHelmetTextureBlue".

If that doesn't work you may need to alter the nif files and point them at the textures. Hopefully that helps. If its wrong, well my excuse is its been ages since I did anything like this. Just trying to help.

Just a quick addition to what EmuXandau stated. You'll need to do the same thing to the ArmorAddon form(s) as well with regards to assigning the texture sets. The armor addon form governs what is seen when the player wears the item while the armor form governs what the player sees in the inventory and while on the ground.

Thanks, I'm almost there!

Alright, I think I did all that right. The item appears in the menu screen correct (though way to low) and appears normal when I drop it (though it is stuck frozen in the air) But it is using the default iron helm texture instead of the one I picked. Which is odd, because before I told it to use this texture it was just invisible.

To start with, this mod replcaed the iron helmet with no ESP, and I made the helmet from a copy of the deadric helmet. )I was told copying was the best way to make new armor?)

I don't get why it's not using the right texture.

Also, I have no idea how to edit the texture in nifscope, this was my first though, but I looked for over an hour and only found how to edit the UV. It shows the iron helm texture under it, and on the helm displayed in nifscope itself.

EDIT: ALright, I thank I may have figured this out, thanks! The only thing I can't figure out is giving the dropped item havoc physics.

Edited by ArtMurder

Hhm, that's weird, I modified the deadric helm GND and yet still no collision?

If I can just give it collision, I thing I can have this mod uploaded within the hour. ^_^

Edited by ArtMurder

@IsharaMeradin: Thanks I forgot about the armour addon. Too used to the old Oblivion way of doing things. :lol:

@ArtMurder: This custom helmet model you have does it have a gnd.nif? If it doesn't that would be the reason the dropped version is floating in the air because its set at neck level for a character, the one to wear if you follow me. To sort the texture issue you need to load those textures into the CK as a texture set then edit the helmet as mentioned above.

To alter the model itself in nifskope to point at the correct texture path you need to select the object in nifskope then navigate to BSLightingProperty, beneath that select BSShaderTextureSet. In the list at the bottom in the block details list you'll see the little purple flowers. This is where you change textures. If you're really stuck with this I'm happy to help you out feel free to PM me. If you don't have a gnd.nif for the helmet I can solve that problem too since I do a fair bit of 3d work. :)

I have a GND of the mesh

@IsharaMeradin: Thanks I forgot about the armour addon. Too used to the old Oblivion way of doing things. :lol:

@ArtMurder: This custom helmet model you have does it have a gnd.nif? If it doesn't that would be the reason the dropped version is floating in the air because its set at neck level for a character, the one to wear if you follow me. To sort the texture issue you need to load those textures into the CK as a texture set then edit the helmet as mentioned above.

To alter the model itself in nifskope to point at the correct texture path you need to select the object in nifskope then navigate to BSLightingProperty, beneath that select BSShaderTextureSet. In the list at the bottom in the block details list you'll see the little purple flowers. This is where you change textures. If you're really stuck with this I'm happy to help you out feel free to PM me. If you don't have a gnd.nif for the helmet I can solve that problem too since I do a fair bit of 3d work. :smile:

I have a GND of the mesh, but it looks just like the normal one. I tried moving the helmet around in it so you can see it better in the inventory, but it still floats in the air when dropped. How to I change it so it has havoc and can be picked up again?

ALso, I figured out the texture thing already! ^_^ I was stuck, but it turned out the guide I was using was old, and was pointing me to the textures in NifScope wrong. XD

Well its a bit hard to tell you without knowing what exactly you've altered. Is the model for the ground version of the helmet exactly at ground level in Nifskope? For example is it exactly on the centre axis or is it up in the air with the white bone lines attached? If it looks like the latter then its set up wrong and its always going to be floating.

Are you 100% sure you've set up the model right in the CK? The World Model is where you point the CK at the GO or GND.nif. The armor addon is where you point the male and female biped models to the wearable helmet nif.