ℹ️ Download History temporarily unavailable ×

Updating VR for new mods

ntblood

In brief ; ) Should I unpack the USSEP main BSA and use the included "optional mod" when installing Skyrim VR USSEP Compat Patch or not? (I've had two experienced modders say No, don't use the optional patch (or unzip ussep's main bsa).
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/31673
I'm curious if people use the old "USSEP 4-1-2 for VR _Unofficial Skyrim SE Patch" bootleg instead of this Skyrim VR USSEP Compat Patch and if so, why?
"I never even tried to use the (USSEP VR Compat Patch) patcher, i just use the old USSEP version, that's all. works for me :)" ; SE and VR are in completely different game version states, but the old ussep version was fine for thousands of ppl in here till now, so i assume it´s ok. ; I've tried both, I honestly saw no difference in stability or bugs. For now I'm using USSEP 4.1.2 as I repeatedly heard even with the compatibility patch there were issues. Also with Skyrim Engine Fixes VR (SSE Engine Fixes) https://github.com/rollingrock/EngineFixesVR/releases , it covers a lot."

"Ideally I would think the USSEP compatibility patch would be better to use.. I would not do the optional portion, that is only needed if you extract the BSA from USSEP. The reason why is SkyrimVR would normally load > Master Files > USSEP > SkyrimVR.esm, but if you extract the bsa in USSEP you end up loading > Master Files > SkyrimVR.esm > USSEP which can cause issues. It honestly looks pretty well done and is probably more coherent than 4.1.2 by the looks of it."

=============
So you probably already knew that this is the way to update Skyrim VR with the newer SE values (with or without USSEP installed).
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/31673
Just remember to follow the instructions and not miss the "Skyrim VR Patch Maker.exe," in the patch's folder. It generates the actual mod/patch to install! After doing this you have a choice to use USSEP or not to, either way. (from the end of the mod's install instructions: "USSEP isn’t required for the game to still run as usual.")

Notes:

- Why do this? "Because it brings over a few of SE fixes to VR. Also mod support for mods using the newer values from SE (not to mention if you'd like to use Creation Club, CC). Some mods will break if they edit vanilla armors and the survival tags aren't present."
-Skyrim vr always loads last no matter what else is loaded after it except the sole exception being loose files. ussep is broken in vr because parts of it can't function inside the bsa in vr because skyrim vr bsa ALWAYS loads last. It's hard coded to win 100% of all fights except loose files. In the bug reports of the vr combat patch on nexus look at the bugs of the patch it still has issues even with it.

Side note: Alternate Start Live Another Life, ASLAL, works in vr but because of how vr loads it needs to be extracted and made loose.

Edited by ntblood

Re: Should I unpack the USSEP main BSA and use the included "optional mod" with Skyrim VR USSEP Compat Patch or not?
-----
The optional part of the mod installation (besides whether you use USSEP or not):
I've read the other posts about this. Not sure if I should unpack the main USSEP BSA file and use the optional, included mod. Either way Skyrim VR has the last word so what's the advantage? For now I'm going with unpacking it.

What I read from others:
The optional patch can be used to overwrite other mods that may be incompatible with Skyrim VR in some way. It has to do with the fact that Skyrim VR has some special files and changes compared to SE and some mods may bring back the SE versions of files which could break Skyrim VR. By loading the optional file after those, it can reinstate the Skyrim VR specific files. ; "Should I unpack USSEP and this mod's generated bsa. I think I got it.."
1. install the Skyrim VR Core USSEP 4.2.1 and SSE 1.5.97 Compatibility (Leave it packed)
2. install USSEP - unpack it so its files take priority over Skyrimvr.esm
3. install Skyrim VR Optional USSEP and SSE Compatibility and let it override USSEP )

Optional Mod Installation Instructions:

You have the option of installing an additional compatibility mod in your
regular mod manager, such as Mod Organizer 2. This is
recommended if you extracted the BSA file of the USSEP into loose files, but unnecessary otherwise. In that case, load this mod after the USSEP in your mod manager. To my knowledge Skyrim VR loads its VR ESM master file after all other master files, and its VR BSA archive after all
other BSA files, thus negating conflicting changes made by the USSEP.
However, loose files still load after archives and can overwrite Skyrim
VR scripts, which the mod addresses.
==========
"Skyrim vr always loads last no matter what else is loaded after it except the sole exception being loose files. ussep is broken in vr
because parts of it can't function inside the bsa in vr because skyrim vr bsa ALWAYS loads last. It's hard coded to win 100% of all fights except loose files."

Edited by ntblood

How about the idea that ESLs would stop counting toward plugin limit for VR using the new updates from SE (using the USSEP VR Compat Patch, with or without USSEP). I just realized. I think this would be correct, it must be.

The one opinion I've gotten for VR USSEP Compat Patch on whether to unpack the ussep main bsa (and subsequently use the optional, included patch):
"I haven't extracted the ussep (main) bsa so I don't use the optional patch, my logic there was I want everything to load after ussep files and bsa always are overridden by loose files."

Edited by ntblood