FNV4gb + NVSE = Launcher?

FireStar999

The reason for problems with NVSE and the 4gb launcher that are coming up, is a multiple one. First, you need to run the game launcher, setting up the graphics initially. Then launching the game from the launcher into the main menu of the game. This will finalize the setting up of your initial ini files. When you install the newest version of NVSE, you need to set up an ini file for that. EssArrBee has a good setup for it. I will copy and paste it here:

"Extract the files from the archive into the Fallout New Vegas folder, NOT into the Data folder. The src folder and text files are not needed. In the Data folder "right click->New->Folder", then name it "NVSE". Only do this if the folder DOES NOT exist. Open up the Data/NVSE folder and "right click->New->Text Document", then name the file "nvse_config.ini". Open nvse_config.ini and add the following: [Memory] DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=400 Save and close."

Then run the game from the nvse launcher. This will help with things. Then install, and then run the 4gb loader. You should be good to go from there.

There are workarounds, etc. for running as administrator. Namely giving yourself administrator rights, changing UAC, and other things. Use your search engine to find the solutions.

• 1 year later...

Something I've found out just a few minutes ago is that a D3D9.dll replacement can break FNV4GB. I picked up one of those .dll's as an Intel Graphics bypass because Fallout 3, New Vegas, and Skyrim were all ignoring my Nvidia 940M in favor of using the Intel HD 4600 Graphics. The dll in question tricks the games into thinking I have an Nvidia 7900GS card. Any ideas for alternative fixes for the graphics adapter(tried everything on the first two pages of Google) since the game crashes on the first loadscreen for lack of memory?

You don't mention your version of the OS, but most likely it's Win10 and your problem is the broken video drivers pushed out with the latest updates. See this thread. With the correct (older) nVidia driver you shouldn't need a D3D9.DLL replacement (unless you are using ENB, in which case you should use that one only with the "wrapper" method).

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

You don't mention your version of the OS, but most likely it's Win10 and your problem is the broken video drivers pushed out with the latest updates. See this thread. With the correct (older) nVidia driver you shouldn't need a D3D9.DLL replacement (unless you are using ENB, in which case you should use that one only with the "wrapper" method).

-Dubious-

I returned to Windows 7 after my last MSATA card died and no ENBs just because I could never get the hang of making it remember the reassigned "Open Menu" key. Also, for some reason, none of the three games had a D3D9.dll until I dropped the new one in.

Edit: Tried to go back to the 368.81 Nvidia driver and according to the installer, my hardware is incompatible with the driver.

Edit2: On a whim, I searched "Nvidia recommended windows 7 driver 940M" and it gave me the 353.30 and fallout 3, new vegas, and skyrim all immediately jumped on Ultra High. Should I just not update drivers anymore since this is the first time they ever jumped that high?

Yeah, despite what the video card vendors imply, don't upgrade video drivers unless you need a fix for a specific problem (especially for games that are "recent releases"). Once they seem to have a stable driver for a game, they only tend to go downhill from there making tweaks for newer games. Any driver more than a year old seems to have dropped testing with older games. "If it ain't broke, don't go fixin it" still holds true.

-Dubious-

Yeah, despite what the video card vendors imply, don't upgrade video drivers unless you need a fix for a specific problem (especially for games that are "recent releases"). Once they seem to have a stable driver for a game, they only tend to go downhill from there making tweaks for newer games. Any driver more than a year old seems to have dropped testing with older games. "If it ain't broke, don't go fixin it" still holds true.

-Dubious-

So block out the voice that says "update". Got it. Now everyone has a place they can go to learn this lesson the easy way.

• 2 years later...