My Grandpa wants to play online games...

AlienSensei

Hehe, this morning grandpa was visiting our house. He asked about video games and that he were intrested in learning to play online and stuff. He was though pretty unaware of how a game was like...

1. He expects it to be realistic.

2. He wants to play in a nice community online. (Which is in itself, impossible. Ever played a game without somebody yelling f*ggot? Not me either.)

3. He loves to study the Roman empire and expects games to have a lot of history and studying. He wants to learn as he plays.

4. He likes strategy games.

My conclusion would be Age of Empires or Age of Mythology, but yeah, you don't learn to much and it's a bit complicated for a almost 70-year old man to learn this kind of stuff and if his computer can run it. (which it probably can, since these games are kinda old now)

Suggestions? Leave them below.

For the categories mentioned, I would definitely suggest Total War: Rome. It is set in Ancient Rome, is a strategy game, has online multiplayer and a decent enough community. Tactics are also realistic. You can find the game on Steam and it's pretty cheap. Arguably, any of the Total War games would be good since they're all historical.

Rome Total war is truly an awesome game, the multiplayer is only for battles with the campaign being single player, I would recommend getting one of the big mods for historical accuracy though, www.twcenter.net for mods for all the TW series. I'm currently playing Empire Total War, great game.

As a grandfather I suspect he will be disappointed with the online mmorpg games and might do better with a single player RPG experience. Every mmorpg I have ever looked into is completely dominated by the kiddies who think profanity and trashing the game for every one else is what it's all about. And trying the adult servers is worse as the same kiddies just lie about their age and think that the ONLY POSSIBLE reasons for an adult server are nudity, homophobic/sexist and toilet humor, trolling and unrestricted profanity. - If you are lucky you may find a server that actually kicks the kiddies off whenever they show up.

Maybe something like a Sim Cities Rome? - I found one called "Glory of the Roman Empire" and another called "Caesar IV" These are primarily city building games (Sim City type)

Or maybe Civilization V may be what he is looking for.

Maybe there is a niche for a new Second Life type game based on Rome?

As a grandfather I suspect he will be disappointed with the online mmorpg games and might do better with a single player RPG experience. Every mmorpg I have ever looked into is completely dominated by the kiddies who think profanity and trashing the game for every one else is what it's all about. And trying the adult servers is worse as the same kiddies just lie about their age and think that the ONLY POSSIBLE reasons for an adult server are nudity, homophobic/sexist and toilet humor, trolling and unrestricted profanity. - If you are lucky you may find a server that actually kicks the kiddies off whenever they show up.

Maybe something like a Sim Cities Rome? - I found one called "Glory of the Roman Empire" and another called "Caesar IV" These are primarily city building games (Sim City type)

Civilization V is probably the best to go with. Thanks all!

Civ City Rome is also a good ancient Rome city builder with a whole bunch of campaign missions available. It's made by the same guys that made Civilization. I personally never managed to get Caesar IV to work, but it did look like a good game.

As for a Ancient Rome-like Second Life, there was actually an MMORPG called Roma Victor which had social interaction, but primarily focused on combat and missions. One thing that separated it from other MMOs is that you could employ proper combat tactics, such as stabbing the leg to slow your opponent down. Unfortunately, Roma Victor no longer exists as it went down a few years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd steer him clear of any MMO community, because they are all terrible IMO. I wouldn't want someone in their 70s to suddenly lose faith in all humanity from one bad experience after another in dealing with people on the internet.

As for strategy games, you could have him start off with something simpler, like Civilization II for example. And then move up from there. I think Civ II is a great entry level strategy game.