Repacking bsa after editing scripts

cwmatt11

• 6 years later...

I use BSAOpt.

I create a replica DATA folder structure somewhere and put only the mod's files that I want to pack in it.

Run BSAOpt.

In the menu, under Game choose "Skyrim"; under Compression choose "maximum"; under Settings choose "Unselect inappropriate"

Click the BROWSE button near the top and navigate *into* the DATA folder that you created and choose "use folder".

Click the BROWSE button near the bottom and navigate to a folder where you want to save the bsa. Type in a name (should be identical to the esp's name). Click SAVE. Click PACK.

Done.

TEST THE BSA. Make sure you have removed ALL the mod's loose files before testing (if any), so you can be certain the game is using the ones in your new bsa.

Game crashed right on start after trying to use a BSA repacked by BSAOpt x64.exe.

• 1 month later...

Just so I'm clear, for special edition can use the loose files as long as the structure is right? I don't actually need to repack into a bsa file?

Correct. It's not necessary to repack files into a BSA. Loose files always override BSA files. This applies to both Classic and Special Edition.

You may want to repack a BSA for release, or to keep things clean, or because BSAs load faster than hundreds of loose files. For personal use, if you're just changing a few files, then leaving them as loose files is perfectly fine.

Also, never repack the vanilla BSAs. There's no good reason to do that.

Sidenote: Steam Workshop and Xbox don't allow loose files, so they can't be released on those platforms.

Just so I'm clear, for special edition can use the loose files as long as the structure is right? I don't actually need to repack into a bsa file?

Correct. It's not necessary to repack files into a BSA. Loose files always override BSA files. This applies to both Classic and Special Edition.

You may want to repack a BSA for release, or to keep things clean, or because BSAs load faster than hundreds of loose files. For personal use, if you're just changing a few files, then leaving them as loose files is perfectly fine.

Also, never repack the vanilla BSAs. There's no good reason to do that.

Sidenote: Steam Workshop and Xbox don't allow loose files, so they can't be released on those platforms.

Thank you for the reply! Nice!