GECK freezes on opening .esp after cleaning masters

Draghy

Hello,

I've cleaned and removed some masters that I did not use anymore from a plugin. The problem is now I can't open it in GECK anymore to edit it. GECK simply freezes when trying to load it and stays frozen forever.

I've tried QuickAutoClean and checking for errors (fixed them) but still to no avail..

UPDATE:

To be more specific, I forgot to turn on Windows 7 compatibility mode, now after doing so I can get clearer loading messages.

The freeze occurs after loading all the masters, when loading my own plugin, when the loading text states: Initializing...

How can I save my work?

Edited by Draghy

Revert back to an older esp. FNVEdit keeps backups in your data folder. Don't use autoclean, just clean your mod by hand.

FNVEdit bugged on me and didn't make backups like it should. Last backup is from september 2020, despite having Backup plugins always checked after editing my file.. so that's not an option..

If you did a Clean Masters in FNVEdit, it removes many of the masters, and this causes the GECK to crash.

If you open it (selecting all of the masters the GECK doesn't list) and save it with the GECK, the full list of masters will be restored.

Yes but I removed them because the mods I patched got updated and use different names for some things I patched. I want to clean the master so I can patch the new version instead.

You probably removed a master file that your esp relied on. You'd have to delete the references to that master file within your esp manually using FNVEdit. You might just be screwed. I have had projects where I'd accidentally checked the pre-order packs and even after removing masters and references from the esp it still would crash.

Edited by ashtonlp101

You probably removed a master file that your esp relied on. You'd have to delete the references to that master file within your esp manually using FNVEdit. You might just be screwed. I have had projects where I'd accidentally checked the pre-order packs and even after removing masters and references from the esp it still would crash.

Any tips on doing that?

The clean master command itself does not work if your plugin still has references to the master. I removed the references myself, both from script and some overrides I had (removed them from the patch) so the command worked and the master was removed. Yet.. it would not work properly.

I used the Report Masters script from FNVEdit and I got no records from the master before I removed it.

Strange. How can I make sure I remove the master properly?

Sometimes the GECK is just idiotic about it. Not going to pretend like we can make sense out of some of these bugs. You might just have to toy around with it and see if you can work something out. Worst case scenario, you just leave the master files as they are and people downloading will just have to deal with a required file.

i don't plan on publishing it. It's a personal patch that rebalances lots of things after my own taste. The thing is, like I mentioned, that the mods I want to remove as masters have new updates, that I want to use.

I guess I'll just make frequent back-ups and removed things one at a time then test it in GECK to see if it's alright. Well thank a lot anyways!

Sometimes the GECK is just idiotic about it. Not going to pretend like we can make sense out of some of these bugs. You might just have to toy around with it and see if you can work something out. Worst case scenario, you just leave the master files as they are and people downloading will just have to deal with a required file.

Edited by Draghy