Random NPC Hostility in Whiterun?

drose25

I started encountering a little random NPC hostility in Whiterun a few days ago and I can't figure out what's up. The only mods I've installed recently have been model/texture mods, so I don't think it's mod-related, although I did also just get the Dragonborn DLC. Here's what's up:

The first NPC to go hostile was Ardwen's dog outside Whiterun at the stables. Normally the dog is just a fixture, but I fast traveled to Whiterun stables and the dog was immediately hostile and attacking. I checked the wikis and didn't see anything about the dog going hostile (or what I might have done to cause it) so I re-loaded from a saved game (I can kill orcs, but not puppies :biggrin:). If I fast travel to Whiterun proper and then go out to the stables, the dog is fine. If I fast travel to the stables, the dog is hostile immediately and stays that way forever.

The second NPC to go hostile was Uthgerd the Unbroken. This happened as I was heading up Whiterun to Dragonsreach. I encountered her in one of the plaza areas and she immediately bee-lined for me weapons drawn and spouting "I knew I'd find you" and other prepare to die language. Again, nothing in the wikis about this (there was a bug about her going hostile in the Bannered Mare Inn and how to fix it, but that did not work). This was even odder because according to the wiki she never leaves the Bannered Mare Inn but I encountered her outside in a plaza. I wound up killing her and using the console command recycleactor to bring her back. She was immediately hostile again when I went to the Bannered Mare to check her.

I also tried using the console command resetAI on both NPCs with no luck. They're non-hostile for a split-second afterwards and then they go immediately hostile again. I thought maybe I had some item or contracted some illness/condition that was causing their hostility, but the dog only became hostile if I traveled to the stables directly so I don't think that's the case.

Any ideas what might be going on? Any way to reset the hostility flag other than the resetAI command? I'm not real familiar with the console so I'm hoping I missed a command somewhere.

Thanks for any help!

Maybe it is related to the bounty somewhere,
and well there's a console command resetai, Just click on the hostile npcs and press enter.

Another thing to try, is once you teleport there, immediately press the T button and wait 24 hours, then try approaching.

No bounty in Whiterun, just a small one in Winterhold. I tried resetAI previously with no luck.

Tried targeting Uthgerd in the console and using the "stopcombat" and "setrelationshiprank player 1" stopped the combat. She sheathed her sword and walked back to her seat with her back towards me. However, as soon as she sat down and saw me again, she immediately became hostile again and attacked. Tried it twice just to be sure.

I'm really not sure what's up.

• 4 years later...

For prosperity: Irileth's aggression bug is well documented. If the guards suddenly attack you when you enter dragonsreach, simply let yourself be killed or reload your most recent save, attack a guard and stow your weapon. You will be approached for assaulting a guard and charged 40gp. Pay it, and the bug will be fixed.