Modding Conflicts?

Job4aCowboy

Hey, I have a couple of questions that I'm not sure on.

If two mods change different things in one cell, will there be a conflict?

For instance, if my mod only changed all the chairs in Breeze home, and another mod only changed all the tables.

Also, I were to add a faction to a Vanilla Crime Faction, without editing anything, and another mod does the same, will this cause problems?

Sorry, probably a noob question. Just need to know as I'm trying to make my mods compatible with as much as possible.

Thanks

Job4aCowboy

For instance, if my mod only changed all the chairs in Breeze home, and another mod only changed all the tables.

Yes, even though it's a not a 'true conflict', the cell edit of one mod will be 'overriden' by the mod loading after it. But a conflict like this can usually be resolve by merges via a compatibility patch.

Also, I were to add a faction to a Vanilla Crime Faction, without editing anything, and another mod does the same, will this cause problems?

It won't cause a problem per se, but if two mods edits the same vanilla faction, changes by the mod loaded later will 'override' the changes by the mod loaded earlier.

Yes, even though it's a not a 'true conflict', the cell edit of one mod will be 'overriden' by the mod loading after it. But a conflict like this can usually be resolve by merges via a compatibility patch.

>Also, I were to add a faction to a Vanilla Crime Faction, without editing anything, and another mod does the same, will this cause problems?

It won't cause a problem per se, but if two mods edits the same vanilla faction, changes by the mod loaded later will 'override' the changes by the mod loaded earlier.

This is as I feared. Suppose it can't be helped though.

Thanks for your help and speedy reply :biggrin:

To add to this, a good way to see if there is a conflict between mods is to use tes5edit. Load the two mods that you think may be conflicting. To do this, right click and "select none". Then, left click once on the mods' tick boxes and press okay.

The interface is a bit intimidating at first, but just concentrate on the mod titles for the time being. Right click on either of the mods and select "apply filter for cleaning". After a few seconds the filtering will be done, and the mod titles will be color coded. Don't worry about the background color, just the text color. If one of the mod's text is red, that means that a change in that mod is being overridden by another. Click the plus sign to the left of that mod, and any further plus signs on sub-categories that have red text. Eventually you will find the specific form that is conflicting.

In the right window, you will see each mod's changes to that form in separate columns titled at the top. The mod on the right "wins".

It could be a little weird at first, but the more you use it the better you will understand.

Just be careful if you make changes on accident. When you close the program, it will ask you if you want to save the mod you changed. Just untick the box and click okay unless you know what you're doing.

This is not true. I got several mods installed that makes changes to Dragonsreach and they are all compatible. Only when a two mods chages the same reference will there be a conflict.