Billionth microstutter case

ObliviousParticle

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i got rid of my micro stutter it is usually down to choking of the cpu, what you need is hialgo and ATTK, both found on here.. failing that, use gamebooster 3, that is an awesome resource freeing utility for pc gamers :smile:

Well actually, I've used the Skyrim performance monitor and I never go above 50-60% CPU usage. I do however end up using 100% of my GPU. But it's probably because of the lack of shadows for me.

I tried ATTK but I think it made things worse if I recall, and IMO Hialgo is not worth it. There is a misconception around lowering the quality when you move your view, where people think that you don't normally see the quality of the game when moving anyways. You in fact can see the beauty of skyrim when moving the camera, you just don't normally focus on it when you are in fights and whatnot.

Don't get me wrong, before I had the computer I have now, I used it on my older computer to help it get extra performance and so it is a must for lower range computers and I praise it. But it is not worth it when you already know that you can run things fine, like me, I shouldn't be having this stutter.

Sorry, derp.

Looking at your Radeon pro, those look like general 3d gaming settings. Do you have a specific skyrim profile (maybe click that application+ button?)

That button is is to create a profile. However I will note something strange, which is that if I try to create a profile for Skyrim it tells me there already is one. I'll take a look into seeing how to view pre-existing profiles. Because I never made a profile, but I do know that AMD makes profiles... especially for newer games and usually includes them in the driver.

Edit:

Okay, so I tried something to see what would happen. What I did was I created a profile for Skyrim with the settings you see in the screenshot I linked so it would override the pre-defined profile.

It didn't completely eliminate the stutter, however I saw a drastic improvement. Which tells me, it is in fact something driver related.

Edit again: Anyone recommend a particular driver so I can try and see if my problem gets resolved?

Edited by ObliviousParticle

It sounds like you might need a clean driver install.

Here is a post from Steam that has specific instuctions for a clean driver install for Radeon Drivers.

As far as the best drivers, personally I would create a new thread with that as a title. More like to get Radeon driver people to respond, since I cannot help you there.

So I went ahead and tried the clean install with 2 different drivers. That stopped the CCC from crashing, but then ALL of my games would crash when I tried to open them. It didn't matter which game. So I reinstalled the 13.1 driver...

Unless anyone has any more ideas, I'm stuck with a Microstutter...

Thanks Georgiegril for your help.

Getting back to the drivers thing...my reason for wanting a look at your driver profile settings for skyrim was to see if there was a conflict between what was set there, and what you are setting with your mods and .ini. If you ever find your way into that, maybe you can take a look at those settings. Have you tried disabling FXAA and AO? Also, have you tried setting your fps to 58?

I don't think I can tell you any more than what Georgiegril has already told you, but if you are using FXAA injector (as am I), you should disable AA and AF completely. One of the functions of FXAA is to simulate the effects of AA without the performance hit.

Just how bad is the 'micro-stutter'? You don't happen to have FRAPS or something and can upload a video, do you?

I don't think I can tell you any more than what Georgiegril has already told you, but if you are using FXAA injector (as am I), you should disable AA and AF completely. One of the functions of FXAA is to simulate the effects of AA without the performance hit.

Just how bad is the 'micro-stutter'? You don't happen to have FRAPS or something and can upload a video, do you?

Bad enough to make aiming a bow unpleasant. I don't know if it's a performance thing. Turning down settings helps, but it's still there even when I lower them enough to get 60FPS at all times. As well I've never had it till recently. Also, it's mainly noticeable in 1st person view. Which is why it's a killer for my experience because I aim a bow in first person only. The weird fact about this is, first person should be rendering less and therefore actually better on performance than 3rd person.

Though turning off AF seems to have a big impact on lowering it. Which kind of tells me, it's something to do with textures. But it could just be that completely disabling AF makes theworld of difference in performance.... even if for some reason, performance seems a bit irrelevant -_-