Main and loading menus tinted red? WTFack?

Valkyrie

This had been goin on for a while. I think (and I could be wrong as usual) this started back when I was on an .ini tweaking jaunt and installing FXAA. I can't for life of me figure it out. As stated the main and loading screens are tinted like a reddish orange. I looked thru the .ini but didn't see anything that I thought would effect it (amongst the ones that I actually knew what were). Any ideas?

Find these lines in your ini and delete them:

rUIMistMenu_AmbientZPosRGB=0,0,0
rUIMistMenu_AmbientZNegRGB=0,0,0
rUIMistMenu_AmbientYPosRGB=0,0,0
rUIMistMenu_AmbientYNegRGB=0,0,0
rUIMistMenu_AmbientXPosRGB=0,0,0
rUIMistMenu_AmbientXNegRGB=0,0,0

They may not necessarily be in your normal Skyrim ini, they might be in an ini added by a mod. So also check your data folder. For me it was in my Hearthfire ini generated by the game - which was in my data folder. Anywho, deleting these lines should fix your problem.

Key: Check EVERY ini file you have for it

Happy hunting!

If Candy's recommendations help then you won't need my advice, but I've seen this problem before. Sometimes when you tweak your ini files through the Skyrim command console (such as through the "refresh ini" command) a new Skyrim configuration file is spawned inside the Data folder that overrides the commands of your document Skyrim config file or even your default Skyrim.ini file. Even weirder is the fact that the file isn't simply named Skyrim as you'd expect, but rather some other absurd and randomized name. In my own case, it named itself "Water."

What you should do is look for a file in your Data folder that is designated as as configuration file. Open it, and if it's a fairly extensive folder that looks similar in nature to your Skyrim.ini file, then that's likely your problem. Delete or move it out of the file and see if that resolves your issue.

And make sure you back up your Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini folder whenever you tweak them. It's just smart modding.

Edited by Jaradin