[Modeling/textures] Help with cigarette-models, pleeeease

GodofAlcohol

well ill keep at it then :]

the model and texture is almost finished, but once again im at work now and i only have portable blender and gimp to work with from my usb key. i guess as far as positioning goes, it should work fine if i just open your GoAcigarette.nif and match up the size and angle.

i wonder if the emitter once attached will blow in the wind? i assume thats the point of using an emitter instead of a smoke animation. but im pretty new to most of this stuff too.

ill send you the model once im done and see if there are any changes youd like, and keep reading up on nifskope and emitters.

cheers

heres a shot of the model so far, i need to tidy up the end a little bit.

i added a fallout logo to it but i can make alternate versions if youd prefer something else at first i had it as a dunhill (my brand :wink: ) but we could make them whatever

anyways, i think i know what needs to be done to get the smoke effect attached, but im still figuring out the how part of it (nifskope is confusing :wacko: )

ive posted looking for some help on the Bethesda forums and maybe someone there will be able to guide me a bit more

ill keep you posted and let me know if there are any cosmetic changes youd like to the cigarette

edit: i forgot to add: if you get the chance can you look in game at one of the smoking ashtrays?

i quickly threw one in a test room last night and when i loaded up the game i couldnt see any smoke coming from it.. it could be that the room was too bright, or maybe i have particle effects turned down in the game... but i wont have too much of a chance to check in the next few days)

cheers

Very good model, I like the logo ;)

Is it possible to make the filter-end a bit more flat than the rest of the cigarette? I think it would fit better into the mouth then.

I will check on the ashtray the next days (unfortunately Im too busy right now).

I examined the ashtray once in NifSkope and it had a smoking animation, but I didnt succeed in attaching it to the cigarette.nif...

im glad you like it, i can definitely squish the end to help it fit

i lowered the light in my test room and i could see the smoke coming off the ashtray, but the animation doesnt seem to show up in nifskope for me. none the less i feel like im getting closer. i tried merging the ashray model and the cigarette model in 3ds max and then deleting the ashtray mesh to leave only the emitter, but im not sure just yet how to move the emitter (it didnt want to drag both ends for me) and i havent had a chance yet to load it into GECK and see if the animation was preserved, but hopefully.

ill send another screenshot once i get a chance to update the mesh

cheers

I'll try to play with attaching the ashtray smoke to the standard cigarette some more at weekend.

Will be some trial&error,yelling,crashing mouse,crashing keyboard, crashing head...and so on, but maybe Ill get to something ;)

If it works, I'll try to remember HOW it worked and report back.

Saiden was kind enough to give me some advice on the subject and apparently particle nodes cannot be attached to anything that is skinable (ie armor) however all is not lost: from what i understand so far (which may still be wrong), well need to make a separate nif with only the smoke emitter, then have that nif called as an addon when the cigarette nif if equiped through an armor list.

http://niftools.sourceforge.net/forum/view...f=31&t=2081

ive found this regarding prn attachments

http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/index...,_Data,_and_you

and last night i was able to start getting models into the geck without it crashing.

slow but steady :)

let me know if you discover anything and ill do the same

cheers

Veeery good.

You are my hero ! You've drawn the sword out of the stone ;)

So now we are ready to make a big cigar, aren't we? *g*

... Or the biggest, player usable bong in the history of gaming. I suggest you convert the Washington monument into a gigantic bong, and smoke out the mutants in the mall. :biggrin:

Anyway, I love the progress you've made on this, I've always wanted my character to be a cigaratte smoking badass and this looks like it'll do the trick. :thumbsup:

ill try to add in the cigar model ive got before i send it your way. i havent placed it on a character yet, but im a little worried about how it will fit in the players mouth, unless i come across a way to attach the "baring teeth" animation to it. i was also going to include a "roll your own" model as well, just in case anyone wants that sort of thing. :happy:

Archived