Stacking magic resistance + elemental resistance

kradus

I want to know if I can stack magic resistance with fire/frost/lightning resistance. There are builds to plan, but the wiki pages have contradicted themselfs over time in this issue, so I dont trust them. Has anyone done any tests recently? Does anyone know for sure?

magic resistance stack multiplicative with elemental resistances with ERs being calculated first, then MR. So if you have 50% fire resistance and 75% MR, getting hit by fireball will deal 60*0.5*0.25=7.5 damage. I used this built all the time but can only afford MR and fire, frost resistance, not shock. so any thing uses shock spell usually give me much tougher time.

Stacking absorb with MR seems popular as a high-level alternative to straight MR.

The "classic" way to deal with magic attacks is Lord Stone, Mara, and 3x Alteration MR for 70%. (Bretons get 85% with 2x Alteration).

The "next step" seems to be to take Atronach Stone + Alteration Absorb for 80% absorb, disenchant the wolf shield from Solitude, and use its high-efficiency MR enchant to get ~85% using items and Alteration MR.

The thing with absorb is that it's all-or-nothing; if there's some super-fire effect that will kill you in 1 shot absorb won't save you 100% of the time from 80% of the flames; rather it will save you from 100% of the effects ... 80% of the time. As for 1-shot magic attacks I don't think so. In Oblivion the Sigil Stone fountain represented such a threat; I'm not sure Skyrim has anything like that.

FR could really help in certain situations, and I think it stacks. I once got Azura's Star at a ridiculously low level, like Level 6; I stacked MR and FR to do it, and it seemed to work, although I didn't collect hard data so all I have is my impression. It wouldn't be too hard to take some MR and FR gear over to a fire trap like the one in Shriekwind Bastion and stand in the flames wearing various combinations. You could find out for yourself whether it works.

Edit: BSN ninja-posted in front of me. (Ninjas, hmph!) It sounds like he knows what he's talking about, so never mind. :P

Edited by RatcatcherOfKvatch