WorkshopSiren Question

pepperman35

The WorkshopSiren.nif has a sound node which I think is responsible for/tied to the sound the device makes when activated. But what ties the sound node in the nif to the actual sound made? I assume that somehow a sound marker and sound descriptor are used but I can’t seem to find the connection between. I ask because I have made a custom siren nif for my mod. It seems to be working as desired but I was curious about changing the sound (tornado siren sound verses the air raid sound) without impacting the vanilla WorkshopSiren.nif. Note: I looked at the workshopsirenscript but didn’t see an obvious tie to a sound of any kind.

• 3 weeks later...

One more problem solved. Upon closer examination of the NIF I found the answer. Within the block details, is a field called strings. When expanded the Strings field has a lot of good info. With regard to my sound question, I observed the following Strings:

SoundPlayAt.AMBSirenLPM.SirenNode

SoundStop.AMBSirenLPM.SirenNode

AMBSirenLPM ties to sound descriptor entity within the CK, which in turn ties to a wav file (AMB_Siren_3D_A_01_LPM.wav). So in short, I was able to change the sound. Still have some troubleshooting to do, because at the moment the sound doesn't stop once activated. I noticed this inside the CK when I setup the sound descriptor and tested it there. I suspect it might have something to do with the actual wav file, not sure.

BTW, the NIF also gave information regarding what script was used (3ds Max) when it was exported: PE Anim. Ah, the quest for knowledge. I equate being a modder to a system engineer as you have to know and understand a lot of different systems (e.g., game engine, CK, NIFskope, 3ds Max, etc, etc,). I am not there yet, but I do enjoy the learning.

• 9 months later...

Revisiting this. Do custom wav files need to be included in an archive in order for them to work properly?

I have edited the NIF with the data for the custom sound and it blasts constantly even before it is powered.

SoundPlayAt.NWCP2_AMBSiren01LPM.SirenNode
SoundStop.NWCP2_AMBSiren01LPM.SirenNode

If the sound is not added in the activator, like a normal sound in ck, then the sound is added in max. Sounds are added to the Dope Sheet as a Note Track to the "Transform" layer in the root mesh, then typed into the Note track "SoundPlay.SoundDescriptorName". I have not tried it myself, but it was explained to me like this. In general, sound is an annotation to an animation actor. The sound is typed in the "On" frame, respectively."sound stop". probably in the "off" frame.

No, absolutely no difference where the sound lies. You choose its location in ck in descriptors. Tomorrow I'll try to add sound to the animation and send a doop sheet screen if I succeed.

Edited by South8028

Look in NiTextKeyExtraData node under NiControllerSequence.

Sound Descriptor names to play back, as well as the respective timing, may be defined there.

3xsJk3d.png

The Strings array on the "Header" tab just holds text data used in other nodes (such as NiTextKeyExtraData ones).

In the example above, entry #9 (count starts at 0) in the array will hold the text "Sound: DRSVaultDoorVerticalOpen". This is the number 9 shown in brackets next to the Value parameter of the text key.

When to play the sound descriptor in the particular controller sequence is governed by the Time parameter of the text key. The unit used for this is seconds.

Similarly, values of the start and end keys denote start and end time of the controller sequence in seconds. Meanwhile, "start" and "end" are both text values held in the Strings array, too (8 and 10, respectively).

Also in the example above, entry #7 will hold an empty string. Strings from that array can be reused across multiple nodes (1:n relation).

Thanks. I had previously moved the sound node IVO the horns, So basically it is setup in the CK via electrical wiring done via FO4edit. When one fast travels there, the siren (tornado sound FX) will blast for one cycle. The siren is energized via a terminal (terminal ==> switichbox==>custom siren). When power is first turned on the siren will blast but I was able to silence it via script fragment at the terminal by turning the siren's switch off. Working better now.

66717096-1641208400.png

Edited by pepperman35