Mods with SkyUI & MCM requirements

IsharaMeradin

I had this happen tonight with one of my mods as I was developing it. Even with a vanilla save game, my menu was not showing up in MCM all of a sudden.

What I found was that by removing the OnInit event (where I was casting a 128 member string array), I was able to reliably restore the condition where my MCM panes showed up again.

Hoping this might help someone else.

You can bypass the MCM entirely if you know what variables and values are being set.

Of course that means spending time searching out and confirming all of the scripting the author used with the CK.

And of course if said author doesn't include source scripts, you have to decompile the .pex files. Taking even more time.

And then creating a .bat file or spending time changing values in the console.

I find the MCM so much easier than the above.

But as you said, each of us have our own likes and dislikes...

Also FYI, the limit on MCM's is 128.

Someone earlier said 120 or so. Close, the exact number limit is due to the array element limit of papyrus.

I had this happen tonight with one of my mods as I was developing it. Even with a vanilla save game, my menu was not showing up in MCM all of a sudden.

What I found was that by removing the OnInit event (where I was casting a 128 member string array), I was able to reliably restore the condition where my MCM panes showed up again.

Hoping this might help someone else.

If you override OnInit() in your config script, you must call parent.OnInit() there, otherwise you'll skip the config menu initialization. Edited by schlangster

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

As mentioned before, it's a known issue that is tricky to fix because there are no reliable synchronization primitives in Papyrus.

It doesn't make sense.

Well, it is easily explained:

When starting SkyUI on a fresh save for the first time, you may have to save and reload (the game you just saved) to make all entries show up.

The detailed technical reason why this happens is that there is a script, which manages all the menus. After each game (re)load, this script asks in the room "hello, are there any new menus?". In rare occasions this request may be sent before a menu has been initialized. By rare I mean Papyrus decides when to initialize and it may be instant, or it may be after 5 seconds if there are other things going on at the moment. Anyway, if the menu is initialized too late, it may miss the first request. But the menu manager will give the menu another chance to register because it asks again after each subsequent reload.

I know it's not optimal, but I tried to fix it once by implementing a lock/wait mechanism in Papyrus and that went horribly wrong.

A simple workaround for this issue is "load a game, if a menu is missing: quicksave, quickload".

I tried all this stuff, and i still cant get my other mod to show up on MCM. ive done the quicksave, quickload method a bunch of times and tried doing a wipe, but just cant get it to work. any other strategies to get it working?

This entire topic sounds waaay to awkward to me, but I guess that's preferences... Personally I cannot imagine game without SkyUI, it makes everything so much more intuitive and comfortable, also gives some neat icon customizations, very convenient to navigate even with gamepad, hard to imagine how someone can not like it, but oh well...

Regarding MCM, thing is, there are basically two ways to configure mods:

1. Through Powers menu, where you have to awkwardly jump from one pop-up menu to another, heavily limiting your options and abilities, messing with your head more than having practical use.

2. Through MCM menu, where everything is neatly packed in few very convenient menus which you can easily navigate and choose anything you want, all this often comes with pretty compehensive descriptions (which isn't normally possible in Power's menu) and even some graphics showing what affects what and how all this works.

There are also mods without requirment of any tweaking, but to view the situation realistically, it's much more comfortable for both: author and user to have much more freedom in mod configuration and generally more options. So MCM requirment in many mods is pretty obvious and expectable IMO. Yes, there's always minority who wants things their way, but in life majority often wins and there's not much sense for author to sacrifice variety and conveniency for that reason.

Cheers. :blush:

Edited by Signette

ive just ressently installed skyui the latest version but for some reason it aint working its probably because i only added 1 of the 2 file's to my data file but i dont know if im suppost to do something with the bsa file as well if so please gimme some instructions so i can get my skyui to work properly because right now i got a whole list of mods installed but without skyui it just keeps looking like vanilla and i realy wanna make my game look awesome

• 2 weeks later...