How to find responses to a post

mikegray

I'm struggling here.

When you want to find out what any given post is responding to, Nexus Forums has a nice, helpful feature - for example:

In response to post #7812xxx. #7812xxx, #7813xxx

But most of the time, what I need is exactly the opposite. That is, I've asked a question. I surf to my question, read it again, grimace at the spelling mistake and then try to find out (a) whether someone has responded and if so, (b) what they said.

What would really be nice would be something like this:

Response to this post in #7812xxx.

BTW, if you read through the thread in "comments mode" posts are actually bundled together, which is nice. It allows exactly that. Unfortunately, to search for some specific post you have to switch to "forum mode," which doesn't.
Or am I missing something?

Source of the trouble is, on forums side there isn't even a "reply to" feature anymore. No connection is made between a question and the reply to it, unless it's done on the 'sites' side of things.

But coming to think of it, if every reply bears the "In response to post #xyz" link at the beginning, have you tried searching for your post's id in other posts already? It should be inside them, if the link's inside them.

Source of the trouble is, on forums side there isn't even a "reply to" feature anymore. No connection is made between a question and the reply to it, unless it's done on the 'sites' side of things.

But coming to think of it, if every reply bears the "In response to post #xyz" link at the beginning, have you tried searching for your post's id in other posts already? It should be inside them, if the link's inside them.

Yeah, I have actually - but the post number (which is a simple thread count number) bears no relationship (that I can see!) to the "#7812xxx" number - no idea what that number is. The whole scenario seems a bit bizarre, to be honest.

Oh, that's quite simple, actually. Hover above the post # and you'll see a url in your status bar ending on a parameter like "...#entryXYZ". There you have the internal post id (XYZ), which is the one used in the links.

Edited by DrakeTheDragon