Help?! - FNV vanilla won't run (or with 4 GB Patcher)

ntblood

I re-installed it from scratch and it crashes immediately after the launcher without the screen even coming up and no error. Now I have only nvse installed manually. I tried the 4GB patcher and it didn't help so I rolled it back to vanilla for now. I tried a d3d9.dll file called "FNV Crash Fix (Oblivion) Nvidia d3d9 perf fix _d3d9dll" and though it was important in the past, didn't help so I removed it for now. This is so frustrating, earlier today it ran with the defunct 4GB launcher but then stopped. I tried putting compatibility mode for windows XP sp3 on the FalloutNV.exe and that didn't help so I removed that. Do you have any idea?

I also tried launching it with FalloutNV.exe outside of MO2 after installing the 4GB Patcher, nvse, and manually installing NV Anti-Crash nvse plugin v7-5-1 but it still crashes immediately without the screen even coming up and no error.

Thank you

Edited by ntblood

You should always start troubleshooting from any error messages you can see. (They are your best "clue"; and why they exist at all.) We don't expect you to be able to interpret those messages, but reporting such accurately and in detail (i.e. screenshots) is an essential first step.

Anytime the game "Crashes to the Desktop" (CTD) it's typically going to generate an error message in the Windows Eventlog because both the game engine and Windows itself was not able to predictably handle the error. Please see the "Windows Error Messages" section of the wiki "How to read most Bethesda game error logs" article. These errors need to be dealt with first.

Logs generated by the game itself (not Windows) are found in the game folder, where the "FalloutNV.EXE" file is located. They generally have the ".log" file extension, or a filename with "_log" in the name and a ".txt" extension.

In general, if you haven't changed anything about your game and it suddenly stops working correctly you need to look to other causes: such as software updates to Windows, programming libraries such as ".Net", or hardware drivers. Older games eventually get dropped from product testing. It is also possible you are having problems with your hard drive. It never hurts to run "chkdsk" and an anti-virus scan.

FYI: If you recently had a Windows system update, you only have 10 days to revert to the previous version if you decide to choose that option.

We REALLY need to see a sorted "load order" (such as produced by "LOOT"); to include the main game and DLC files. (Screenshots don't work so well for the purpose.) With modded games its the sequence, not merely the list of mods, which is the cause of many problems. LOOT's sort gives a good first approximation, correcting the most obvious issues and is sufficient for most players. You can make minor adjustments to the order and tell LOOT how to remember them. It's in the on-line documentation under "Metadata". Instructions on how to copy it's list for posting are in the "How to ask for help" article, and "Checklist Item #11' entry in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide.

In the meantime, please see the 'Vanilla Load Order' entry in the 'First Timer Advice' section; as well as the 'Towards Game Stability' and the 'Common Game Problems' sections of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article.

If the problem persists, then work through either the 'Solutions to Starting the game problems' or the 'Solutions to "Crash To Desktop" (CTD) problems' sections in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide.

I recommend anyone read the entire "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article to understand the differences between this game and others you may have experience with; especially if this is your first attempt to play a modded FNV or it's been more than a year since you last set it up. It is designed for someone who has never played a modded PC game before, so it tries to avoid making any assumptions, is kept "up-to-date", and covers years of "lessons learned" by a retired Technical Support expert. It is NOT a list of various mods to install that happen to work on the author's machine; only "the essentials". It addresses fundamentals underlying how to get the basic game and mods to work together. At least 90% of everything I post in the "Technical Support" sub-forum is already in that article. Once you can play a test game to at least Primm, only then should you try adding other mods from some other "guide".

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

Ok, I can check the Windows Eventlog next time. I don't think this is a hardware issue. I've run a quick virus scan not that long ago but will again. Someone is suggesting I go over the Requirements section and re-install them from here: https://vivanewvegas.github.io/intro.html So I'll get on that even though I should already have all of them.
"Download and install BOTH "DirectX Runtime Libraries" AND Microsoft VC++ (Both 2013, and 2015-2019 after)"

You do realize that I'm trying at this point to get the vanilla game running so any LOOT or "General Mod Use Advice" talk is kind of out the window, right? Ok, I'll update/edit this with my progress if any.

Edited by ntblood

Focus on the the 'Solutions to Starting the game problems' or the 'Solutions to "Crash To Desktop" (CTD) problems' sections in the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide. (For instance you need the older DirectX 9 drivers installed. You can have multiple versions of DLL libraries installed.) But even with a "bare bones" vanilla game there are points about the correct "load order" and such in the "General Mod Use" article. Apply common sense. That article is all about laying a solid foundation for your game.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent