Extracting meshes

WastelandLoner

I am in the middle of trying to create a new place, and have made a few 'new' static objects. I have used existing meshes, extracted from bsa archive, into my meshes folder and in game it all works.

However i have alot of extra nif files in my folder and if i move them anywhere else then i am left with exclamation marks.

For example i have the mini nuke (enlarged) and also the army truck as static objects. Is there a way for the game to access these meshes for these static objects without needing the nif files loose in the mesh folder?

Hope that makes sense, thanks in advance.

WastelandLoner - Hello!

"However i have a lot of extra nif files in my folder and if i move them anywhere else then i am left with exclamation marks."

That's correct, your mod will look for your new mesh exactly where you told it to. Move the mesh without changing the path in your mod will result in a missing mesh symbol.

Some bigger mods pack meshes & textures into their own .bsa's like official content but there's really no need for smaller quantities.

It's good etiquette (not to mention tidier) to pack your mod's new files into sub folders, usually named for your mod. For example any new Meshes you add to your mod would go to:

Fallout 3\Data\Meshes\My Cool Mod\Weapons

That way the new meshes end up in the correct Meshes folder but are neatly collected into your personally named folder "My Cool Mod" or whatever you call it.

The Textures folder would have the same set up.

It makes keeping track of your files much easier, for you & any end user.

Remember though, if you change to this arrangment to make sure you correct the paths set in your .esp/.esm & that the textures in your models are changed if they are using custom textures.

Hope this helps!

Prensa

Edited by prensa