Morrowind Won't Start - Crashes to the Desktop!

Okay, it's really strange. First of all, I have never ever played Morrowind before since I have been playing Oblivion and Skyrim both of which work just fine on my computer. However, I bought Morrowind off Steam just today and it installed fine and everything, real quickly too. I only got it because I burnt out Skyrim and Oblivion and want to try out the Skywind mod. However, whenever I start the game it goes launches to the black screen and then gets this error message:

Too many font textures for Data Files\Fonts\century_gothic_font_regular.fnt.
Max textures is 8 yours has 1043021373.

I have no idea what that means. My PC Specs are Windows XP Professional, Dual Intel Core 2.0 (I think), 2 GB of RAM with 1gb in my nVidia Silent 210 graphics card. I have installed Morrowind onto my external hard drive since I don't have enough space on my ancient PC. This has worked just fine for all my other games though. But I don't know what the problem is. :( This saddens me since I just bought the game and am already having problems....AND in freaking 2013!!! Is this real or what?!!!

Sorry for ranting but I really want to try out Skywind so I would be forever greatful if someone could help me out here. Many thanks in advance!! :)

• 4 weeks later...