New Vegas Lags Near Light Sources

benedu3095

Straight up having the same problems mentioned by this dude about 7 years ago. I really don't get why this is happening. For simplicity's sake, let's just say I have the same mods recommended on Viva New Vegas, and the game just get's laggy when looking at or when near light sources. Anyone can think of anything that can solve this problem?

My specs just to compare with the ones posted by the dude years ago:

i7 8700k

UHD 630

The only thing we have in common is YUP ,and integrated graphics, but that doesn't explain why the game lags so bad when looking at or being near light sources, for instance, my family computer doesn't have these sort of problems and it's rocking an A8-5500 with Radeon HD 7560D graphics...

Edited by benedu3095

The engine only supports a limited number of visible light sources on a given piece of landscape, and that includes the Pipboy light. Many mod makers don't know this. Static objects can handle more, but even they are pretty limited. Another thing to consider is light radius overlapping. From the experience of other mod creators, one object can have up to 3 lights affecting it with the light radius overlapping. Beyond that sources get dropped.

Gamebryo engine games have a long history of lag around light sources, and in combat. Please see "Issue - Lighting - Exteriors at night" and the stutter and FPS entries under the "Solutions to Performance problems" section of the wiki "Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" article.

"Integrated graphics" in a laptop is inherently slower than a dedicated graphics card, due to the difference between both the CPU / GPU and the type of memory used for "system RAM" and "Video RAM". The integrated video has to share "system RAM" with the rest of the computer, including the memory allocated to the game. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

-Dubious-

Light sources are a real frame rate killer in this game, too many will even drag a high end PC down. I don't know what settings you're using but you might need to lower them. There's a guide here with graphs showing what adjustments will increase the frame rate. Fallout: New Vegas Tweak Guide | GeForce (nvidia.com)