⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

nifskope crashes when deleting assets

nognow

NiTriStrips are optimized, NiTriShapes aren't.

Armors, characters and creatures are in TriShapes. The rest in TriStrips, as you can see if you open and inspect Vanilla nifs.
You should Triangulate (NifSkope Spell) your nif.
There's a lot of unwelded vertices too, which increase the computer strain and can eat FPS like nothing, I can't say much more about it, Weapons are not my forte.

As a general advice, I would recommend not to build upon structurally bad nif. Working directly with .obj in NifSkope is also opening ways to unsolvable issues.

If, somehow, your NifSkope is now corrupt reinstall fresh.

NiTriStrips are optimized, NiTriShapes aren't.

Armors, characters and creatures are in TriShapes. The rest in TriStrips, as you can see if you open and inspect Vanilla nifs.

You should Triangulate (NifSkope Spell) your nif.

There's a lot of unwelded vertices too, which increase the computer strain and can eat FPS like nothing, I can't say much more about it, Weapons are not my forte.

As a general advice, I would recommend not to build upon structurally bad nif. Working directly with .obj in NifSkope is also opening ways to unsolvable issues.

If, somehow, your NifSkope is now corrupt reinstall fresh.

Triangulating converts strips to shapes. Should I triangulate and then stripify?

Triangulating converts strips to shapes

Correct, my mistake. You should Stripify your nif.

Triangulating converts strips to shapes

Correct, my mistake. You should Stripify your nif.

Does it matter though?

I noticed that file sizes decrease by less than 0.1 kbs at most.

And modders seem to use both interchangeably.

Does it matter though?

Short answer: yes.

Optimization is less about the weight of the nif than the way it is proceeded trough a 2006 game engine (Oblivion) patched for FO3 and later once again for FNV.
A poorly made nif will not make a big difference if only added to the Vanilla mistakes already existing. But the accumulation of bad material will only lead to poor performance and/or issues difficult to troubleshoot.

And yes, many modders don't have the knowledge or the will to learn and bring clean mods but that doesn't mean they have to be imitated.

T

Does it matter though?

Short answer: yes.

Optimization is less about the weight of the nif than the way it is proceeded trough a 2006 game engine (Oblivion) patched for FO3 and later once again for FNV.
A poorly made nif will not make a big difference if only added to the Vanilla mistakes already existing. But the accumulation of bad material will only lead to poor performance and/or issues difficult to troubleshoot.

And yes, many modders don't have the knowledge or the will to learn and bring clean mods but that doesn't mean they have to be imitated.

Thanks!

Sorry for late the late "thank you"; I took a few days to test this stuff in-game.

Is there a loss of quality when stripifying meshes? why aren't all meshes FNV tristips (in fact, most are trishapes I think)?