I'm lvl 36, I've completed:

Dragonborn

Civil war questline

Companions

Dark brotherhood

Dawnguard

All but one of the city questlines

Nearly all Daedric quests

I've done most of the main questlines and I'm not even halfway to 81 yet, is this normal? I don't want to be stuck with menial quests and tasks after completing the main story (which is pretty soon)

Do you have some sort of Mod that slows your leveling?....And I am hedging a bet that you Fast Travel everywhere? You are leveling rather slowly for so much done....I would suggest straight off as a good start, don't fast travel....go on foot everywhere, that means no Horse back either, as people tend to move faster and thus see less and explore less and can outrun many encounters.

Perhaps there's a misconception somewhere. You don't level by questing in the literal sense of the word, but by using your skills. If you only use a very limited set of skills (say for example: destruction magic and an occasional healing spell) you will only level with those skills and nothing else. Once you reach the higher levels of your skills, your level increases more slowly because you have to use your skills more often to get another point and at 100 you get stuck unless you turn the skill legendary. So I don't think your problem comes from questing too fast or fast-traveling too much but from using a very limited skill-set. - Apart from that I agree with StayFrosty, fast-traveling robs you of much fun along the way.

My spellsword is 30ish too, she has so far finished the MQ, the CW, the Dawnguard, the first few Companion Quests and some smaller quests along the way. (with heavy-armor, destruction, block, one-handed, healing, enchanting, smithing, alchemy and some dabs of archery, conjuring, alteration and lock-picking)

Edited by Anska

I don't fast travel and have the same problem - mainly because I only take quests that suit my current character. Main quest, Dragonborn, Companions, Mages Guild College of Winterhold (without taking the title of Archmage), a bit of the Civil War, bunch of those bounty and random quests like the Redguard woman and the Aetherium Forge - and I'm barely over lvl 35. And it's the highest level I've ever reached in Skyrim. My poor second-most-played is 25 or so.

I'm not sure you can roleplay and reach lvl 80++. Unless you're willing to go hitting stuff randomly and doing mechanical chores ad infinitum. :/

Edited by sisterof

... and because I just read, what sisterof has written: I don't really think it's the sense of the game that you reach a certain level in order to "win" the game either - it's more like you are done when you have nothing left to do (or nothing left for your character to do) and haven't found an interesting story-mod either, no matter what your level is. Edited by Anska

There really is no such thing as leveling too fast. Actually, a lower level character might be better, in the sense that some battles will be more challenging. My highest-level character is level 61 and he can pretty much dominate any opponent. I am enjoying my lower-level characters because I have to plan my combat and can't just wade in and start smashing people.

As Anska and sisterof comment on also....I also RP my games and only do quests that my Dovahkin would do and only use a certain limited skill set (Primary: Archery, Stealth, Alchemy, Speech, Two Handed....Secondary: Smithing, Light Armor, Lock Picking and sometimes Pick Pocket)...I am able to reach into the low 60's with that skill set if I really persist....But yes the Dovahkin can level fast at first, but after a while it really begins to slow down.

I do know going by your list though, I could not complete all those quests and still be level 36, I would be somewhat higher...that is I believe due to the fact that I don't fast travel and my Dovahkin also has a bit of a problem with wandering off track while on route to his next destination.... :happy: ...."Oh, look a cave/crypt!" and checks it out....most generally landing him in hot water and having to fight his way through it...is a very good way to find word walls though.... :happy: