Help with something

SpartanISW108

So I've created a little .nif edit using 3DS max

Just something simple, adds a little BoS chest decal like the guy on the side of the nexus to the power armour.

However, it doesn't show up in game, no matter what I've tried to do, my 3DS knowledge is VERY limited so would somebody be able to review it for me and perhaps get it working?

I was planning on uploading this to Nexus when/if it got working, anyone who helps would be credited for such.

Thanks for reading, the file is located here http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?g4xqdmnh3fb2qma

http://i37.tinypic.com/20h5ytf.png

Edited by ilyasw

ilyasw - Hello!

This is out of my range of experience I'm afraid so I can't be much help.

What I can say is that the model:

lyonsdecal.nif

Is doing a simillar thing to what you are doing.

If you compare that to your model, you're missing the BSDismemeberSinInstance block.

You've also still got the old shoulder decal in there as well, you should probably remove that.

There's information, that may be of use, on how to export an armor from a 3d program & set it up here:

http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Creating_an_armour_for_Fallout._Part_2

Hope this helps!

Prensa

Edited by prensa

From what it sounds like, all you need to do is edit the texture for the armor, not the model itself. Once the texture is the way you want it, just put it in the same file structure that it would have in a BSA file but in your Data folder instead. That should make it show on any armor/object that uses that texture. Just make sure you have Archive Invalidation activated. Let me know if you haven any more questions regarding this process.

ilyasw - Hello!

This is out of my range of experience I'm afraid so I can't be much help.

What I can say is that the model:

lyonsdecal.nif

Is doing a simillar thing to what you are doing.

If you compare that to your model, you're missing the BSDismemeberSinInstance block.

You've also still got the old shoulder decal in there as well, you should probably remove that.

There's information, that may be of use, on how to export an armor from a 3d program & set it up here:

http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Creating_an_armour_for_Fallout._Part_2

Hope this helps!

Prensa

I'm trying to retain the original shoulder decal and just add on the chest decal, I've tried everything I know of, from adding the chest decal as a separate entity, to merging the chest and shoulder decal into one mesh and nothing works, it seems to look okay in Nikskope, but won't display at all in game.

I've compared them side by side and had a version which had all the same nodes and branches, but still nothing

From what it sounds like, all you need to do is edit the texture for the armor, not the model itself. Once the texture is the way you want it, just put it in the same file structure that it would have in a BSA file but in your Data folder instead. That should make it show on any armor/object that uses that texture. Just make sure you have Archive Invalidation activated. Let me know if you haven any more questions regarding this process.

If you looked at it you'd see that it uses the default BoSDecal texture and displays correctly in Nifskope, it's just getting it to actually show in game that is the problem. I've tried several different variations including adding the chest decal as a separate entity to the pauldron decal, as well as doing what Prensa said and basing it on the Lyons file, which I opened in 3DS and just resized the chest piece of the mesh until I was happy with the placement.

Could perhaps the problem be with my importing/exporting options for .nif files on 3DS? If so which are the correct boxes to have ticked?

Also could perhaps just pasting the nitristripsdata which holds the physical data for the decal in place of the original work? I've tried to do that previously but I could find no way to merge the pasted data over the original data (it was just a separate branch) is there any way to merge it with a parent branch?

Edited by ilyasw