Reinstalling Skyrim without losing mods?

zeemo71

Hello I have a need to reinstall skyrim just due too many changes made to it. Therefore I am concerned about the 200+ mods installed along with DLCs. Because Im thinking I may need to buy a new copy. I have spent hours modding and changing skyrim to something I'm dying to see but the game isn't working. Load order is fine I believe it to be something to do with the actual game. Any advice/help?

If it's an issue with the game's files then verifying the integrity of the game cache through Steam should fix it.

What exactly about the game isn't working?

First of all once i click on the icon the game doesnt start for another 10-15 min and I'll be doing something else when all of the sudden the game will start. Then I also have a problem starting the actual menu. (i.e. the play, options, etc)

Verify the integrity of the game cache.

Open Steam > Go to Library > Right click on Skyrim > Properties > Verify Integrity of Game Cache

If this does not work, delete your Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini (back them up somewhere else first) Then repeat the cache verification. If you made any edits do your ini you will loss them, but those edits could be what is causing this.

If that does not work, copy your 'data' folder, and place it somewhere else, then delete everything in your skyrim folder, and run the cache verification again (this time it could take upwards of 5-6 hours unless you have a really fast internet connection) If you use SKSE or any ENBs, you will need to reinstall them. After steam vinishes, replace your DATA folder in the skyrim folder making sure to say NO when it asks you to replace any of the skyrim/DLC files (Skyrim.esm, Dragonborn.bsa, Meshes.bsa, etc)

ONLY attempt the last step if you are desperate, as there is a good chance you could mess up something worse, and just end up waiting hours for nothing.

I have reinstalled skyrim many times, you should NEVER have to rebuy ANYTHING to reinstall. ^_^

Also, in the future use the tool "Skyrim Install Manager" this can make a 'vanilla' install of skyrim, and allow you to have many different installs, and swap between them freely. It uses the same vanilla files in all versions, so you can go to the vanilla to test if the issue is mod related.

if the issue is mod related, sadly you will likely have to reinstall all your mods, and just make sure to be more careful. I use about 190 mods, and have a good high end computer, but I still get CTDs and lag do tot he sheer number of mods. Remember, 255 is the max number of ESPs/ESMs, and the closer you get to the number, the more issues you will have, even if your load order is perfect and everything is compatible.

Edited by ArtMurder

Ok first off I want to say sorry for taking so long to reply, I am grateful your your guy's help. I have a Pavilion g6 duo core, 4gb ram, and HD graphics card. Thats all I know, since its windows 8 its hard to find all specs and there are multiple g6 laptops out there so its hard to find the right one. Now I have a lot of mods and including HD graphics, Skyblivion, Skywind, SKSE, and I reached the max plugins though I keep it at 254 instead of 255 just so Nexus mod manager doesn't glitch up (which it does at 255). Thanks!

If the actual specs of your laptops graphic card is the same as listed in the url you are going to have problems unless you play on low settings with that many mods installed. Buying a new copy of the game is useless if you already have a legal copy of the game. Do you use optimizer to compress your textures?