So Oblivion was not so bad afterall

MasterAub

I am playing Skyrim but I am feeling more and more nostalgic towards Oblivion and I am planing to travel back to Cyrodiil and in time to play Oblivion again...

Help me list the reasons why:

1) the feeling when escaping the sewer and discovering the whole world remains unmatched.

your turn...

Oblivion feels much more as a rpg to me,And the world is so lush and colourful compared to skyrim.

im just afraid that this is the last installment in the series that maintain this.

reasons for playing this is obvious.

1: this game is more stable and dont crash as often.

2: quests are more engaging.

3: more humour (visit the skooma den in Bravil)

4. So many great mods, Got 80 mods installed (should keep me busy for a year or more)

There you go!!! No excuses

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, a game doesn't receive a 5-digits-long amount of mods without a reason. Oblivion isn't just "not so bad after all". It stands the test of time.

That said, I'm sure that when TES6 shall be out, the initial wow-factor will strike the masses again, and people shall be quick in forgetting Oblivion (Skyrim too, don't hold your breath) to flock over to the next best thing of the moment.

Then, when that wow-factor will fade away -as it always does- we shall see if it was all that due in the first place.

I still prefer it to Skyrim. Of course, Skyrim has much better eye candy and better combat, but as an RPG and in terms of replayability, Oblivion had a lot more going for it.

I find Oblivion to be a much more fun and satisfying RPG than Skyrim.

I miss the sense of comradery and friendship in Skyrim that was present in Oblivion. Martin, Baurus, Jaffre, Savlian, Farwil (even if a pain), Captain Burd, even the soldiers at Fort Sutch and of course the best of all, Mazoga. I know people who had at least a lump in their throat and some I know even cried when Martin defeated Dagon at the Temple of the One.

Characters in Oblivion are much more fun and interesting and have personalities. Weird like Falanu Hlaalu, a bit ditzy like Jeanne Frasoric, a snob like Voranil, a prankster like Volanaro or just grumpy as heck like Falcar. In Skyrim everyone seemed exactly the same and totally uninteresting.

The quests were more entertaining and even more interesting. It didn't matter if it was a simple "go there, do this (or get that) and come back" quest, every quest had a story and was interesting whether it was helping a farmer (Corrick Northwode ) get revenge, figuring out and locating the clues for an enchanted item (Pale Pass) or seeing what happened to some poor schlub who abandoned his farm to see a Sunken One. Maybe the caves were and forts were a bit repetitious, but the quests them self were unique and meant something and were interesting.

Oblivion gave a sense of accomplishment. That first gate at Kvatch and being totally unprepared for what one found and figuring out what to do and how to do it to close the gate and secure Kvatch. Getting the great sigil stone before the daedric machine destroyed Bruma. Even fighting to protect Martin and Baurus and Jaffe before the great gate opened. Getting the items for Martin to open the gate to Paradise; Sancre Tor, Mehrunes Shrine, The Great Welkynd Stone... you earned being named Hero of Kvatch and Champion of Cyrodiil, no one gave you anything, you worked for it and you earned your rewards.

Actually, one of the biggest things I miss in Skyrim is that giggle from a Spriggan heard in Oblivion.

Skyrim was OK and had its few moments, but Oblivion is just better overall in my opinion. I have vowed not to play Oblivion for a year, just so when I do play it again I'll get at least some of that sense of wonder and amazement and accomplishment again from a great RPG. Only 6 months to go.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...