Game won't start

Sprollest

OK, I have a recently bought morrowind but the I can't actually play the game. When I launch it I get a message saying morrowind has performed an illegal operation. I had loaded it onto my grandparents computer a few days before so i had something to do over there house and it worked fine, but on my home computer it doesn't work. :(

I don't understand as my system has all the right specs to play the game. I have recently defragged it and reinstalled the game numerously but with no effect.

Please help.

Well unfortunately the required specs on the box are just a liiiittle bit unrealistic :P just what are your computer specs currently? Also from the "illegal operation" message I'm guessing you're on Windows 98? XP/2000 is best for this game I think.

Also make sure you have the correct drivers. I mess that up all the time on some games. I won't have the correct driver and it won't even load. Or it'll load and be all weird-colored.

Thanks for your replies.

My computer is Windows 98, I have an Nvidia graphics card and I'm almost certain the driver is up to date.

If I put the game on resolution 800 by 600 and put it in a windowed mode it will display the Bethesda Softworks animation but then the screen goes a light grey colour and crashes.

I'm really confused :(

from the info youve provided it looks like your graphics card and/or drivers are the problem. If you can borrow a card to try it ( the more up to date the better ) and it works then that would confirm it. Its also worth ensuring all old Nvidia drivers are removed as they have a nasty habid of staying installed in the registry when the drivers are updated.

Hope this helps.

Oh, the latest Nvidia driver. That could be the problem. Nvidia are notorious for making things worse with every update, and this one's no exception. :P I was having real problems with it.

I suggest going to nvidia.com and searching for "45.23". Download the one for Windows 98. It's an old reliable driver that works very well in my experience :P

NOTE: This is only if your card is GeForce. But they're really the only ones that are around now :P if you have a Quadro or a Riva (which are pretty old methinks) chances are it wouldn't run Morrowind anyway.

Well actually it says "GeForce and TNT2" so the cards use the same drivers. Didn't spot that before :P so still try what I suggested above. Might work...

And I wouldn't think installing it in a previous computer beforehand would cause any problems but I don't really know much about that sort of thing.

Archived