Full xbox 360 controller support ( I got it working)

thomriis

I get button conflicts if i dont disable all controller support in Oblivion, if you adjust the sensivity on the left stick you can easily walk by just moven the stick slightly.

Tried to map the triggers with a Logictech and ps 3 controller controller in xpadder DIDNT WORK :sad:

In the Oblivion control options menu, you can remap the joystick controller by switching from keyboard to controller. Doing this means you don't have to remap anything in XPadder beyond the triggers and right stick. That method avoids button conflicts and means you don't have to change the .ini file.

As for XPadder not recognizing Logitech, if your Logitech controller has an XInput switch, it will function exactly as a 360 controller would. So in XPadder I use the XBox 360 controller profile, and it works fine. When I used other Logitech controller profiles, it would not let me remap to the triggers properly, for example not enabling analog support on them.

Like I said, the only flaw with this is the diagonal movement. I can only assume this is a flaw in the game itself though. Otherwise controls are fine.

Okay, I found a terrific fix on the Logitech boards which enables right stick support and fixes the problem with diagonal move speed!

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Games-PC-Mac-PS2-XBox-PSP/Oblivion/td-p/60252

You need to change the values in the .ini file to these new settings (more details in that topic.)

iJoystickMoveFrontBack=2
iJoystickMoveLeftRight=1
fJoystickMoveFBMult=2.0000
fJoystickMoveLRMult=2.0000
iJoystickLookUpDown=5
iJoystickLookLeftRight=4
fJoystickLookUDMult=0.7500
fJoystickLookLRMult=0.7500
However, I found 0.7500 to be too sensitive, so I changed that value to 0.2500 instead and that was just right.
This post still doesn't address trigger support, but with XPadder I've got that issued handled. I added the following in XPadder:
Left stick = arrow keys
Right stick = mouse movement
Triggers = mouse 1 and mouse 2
A button = enter
Left and right bumpers = left/right arrow keys + shift key
Start button = escape key
Now when in menus I can use the left stick to move around the menu and its pages and the A button confirms. Hitting the left bumpers will tab through the journal categories (inventory, magic, map, etc.) The right stick will still act as a mouse in the menu for anything additional like confirmation screens and conversations.
This is as close to how the game plays on the 360 as you can possibly get, I think.
I used these settings for a Logitech F710 in XInput mode, so it should work just fine for a 360 controller as well!
Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I found a terrific fix on the Logitech boards which enables right stick support and fixes the problem with diagonal move speed!

Thank you. This totally fixed the ridiculous drifting my character used to have. Now if I could only play the game for more than 5 minutes without it crashing due to nvidia's stupid driver's being screwed :(

I have my Logitech controller working with the same button layout I had when I played Oblivion on my 360. With one difference....I use the right stick to move a cursor in menus. I even have the analog walk/run on the left stick functioning.

The controller came with Logitech Profiler software, similar to X-Padder, and it lets you make axis zone assignments (and even allowed me to make a small, dead space at the center as well). So the only things I mapped with profiler were the sticks, the triggers and the hotkeys on the D-pad and the rest I set with the in-game options menu.

Maybe I can try to also map arrow keys for menu use. I haven't thought to try that.

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Games-PC-Mac-PS2-XBox-PSP/Oblivion/td-p/60252

You need to change the values in the .ini file to these new settings (more details in that topic.)

iJoystickMoveFrontBack=2
iJoystickMoveLeftRight=1
fJoystickMoveFBMult=2.0000
fJoystickMoveLRMult=2.0000
iJoystickLookUpDown=5
iJoystickLookLeftRight=4
fJoystickLookUDMult=0.7500
fJoystickLookLRMult=0.7500
However, I found 0.7500 to be too sensitive, so I changed that value to 0.2500 instead and that was just right.
This post still doesn't address trigger support, but with XPadder I've got that issued handled. I added the following in XPadder:
Left stick = arrow keys
Right stick = mouse movement
Triggers = mouse 1 and mouse 2
A button = enter
Left and right bumpers = left/right arrow keys + shift key
Start button = escape key
Now when in menus I can use the left stick to move around the menu and its pages and the A button confirms. Hitting the left bumpers will tab through the journal categories (inventory, magic, map, etc.) The right stick will still act as a mouse in the menu for anything additional like confirmation screens and conversations.
This is as close to how the game plays on the 360 as you can possibly get, I think.
I used these settings for a Logitech F710 in XInput mode, so it should work just fine for a 360 controller as well!
Hope this helps!

I got this running on my desktop machine. I find that the left stick is still a little too fast and the right stick is still a little too slow. What do each of those adjustments do? I'd like to try tweaking it some more.

Also, have you tried this with Morrowind? I'm wondering if there's something similar in the Morrowind .ini. Then again, I don't know that Morrowind even had controller support so XPadder may work on its own right off the bat.

My Logitech Dual Action controller (and using the Logitech Profiler software) works fine for Morrowind. I've used it myself. I haven't used X-Padder, but I'm left to assume it's very, very similar to Profiler so it should be fine. I just set it up so it's as close to Skyrim's and Oblivion's setups as possible and it played fine (besides the crappy combat system anyway! LOL).

• 2 weeks later...

uH iM HAVING TROUBLE. I USED TO US THIS AND IT WORKED FINE, BUT FOR SOME REASON IT ISNT ANYMORE. I OPENED THE OBLIVINION INI AND FOUND BUSEJOYSTICK WAS SET BACK TO 1, soI fixed it and set it back to zero. However I still seem to have the same problem and joystick still shows up in oblivion under controls.

How fix?

I'm also using a Logitech keyboard, if that's of any importance.

Edited by crisscross97