Random Freezing & Crash

LunaGore

Hello, I'm wondering if anyone can help me pinpoint an issue somewhere? I'm considering doing another fresh start of Skyrim again if the help here doesn't resolve the issue, maybe then I can pinpoint it if any mods I've uninstalled has any remains lingering around in my Data folder.

The attached file is what BOSS generated for me, everytime after installing a mod through NMM I run BOSS through Wrye (after closing NMM of course since it can revert the modlist that BOSS generates - which Wrye reads), everything worked fine and dany until I decided to uninstall some mods, trying out similar mods to them, getting rid of them all together, or needing to reinstall to change which files overwrite which.

If there's anything I've missed that needs to be attached please tell me, I'd like to refrain from starting off fresh but if I have to I don't mind.

SKSE: Version 0.1.6.13

Skyrim: Version 1.9.32.0

Edited by Lunaus

With the lighting/skies/climate enhances that you've installed with mods....first thing I'd do is disable the HD texture pack DLC's. Next I'd grab all of the Unofficial game patches from Nexus, move your bashed patch to the bottom of load order, and last I'd grab TES5Edit......open it, and when prompted to load plug ins, select ALL of them. Wait to see if TESV can load them all without any errors. If it reports any errors, then you have yourself a place to start researching.

I already have all the Unofficial Patches since I have all DLC (Dawngaurd through Dragonborn), I've cleaned all of my mods that BOSS has listed for me to (as shown in the BOSSLog), ans My Batch as well as Dual Sheath Patch is always at the bottom after running boss (I always have to move them because of the mods BOSS doesn't recognize).

I'll run all of them through TES5Edit and see if any errors arise (if I can't see any, since I'm fairly new to using it, I'll just post what is given to me here).

Edit/Update: The only mod giving me an error was the Slave Pack Riekling, I've unsubscribed from it (since it's a Workshop mod), and will test my game to see if the issue still persists.

[01:15] Background Loader: Error: record REFR contains unexpected (or out of order) subrecord XLOD 444F4C58
[01:15] Background Loader: Errors were found in: [REFR:AE00F240] (places DLC2CliffBasaltMoundCoastBeach [sTAT:04029584] in GRUP Cell Temporary Children of [CELL:0400EEFB] (in DLC2SolstheimWorld [WRLD:04000800] at 3,7))
[01:15] Background Loader: Contained subrecords: NAME XLOD DATA

Edit/Update #2:Well I didn't get far into the game because as soon as I attempted to save the game (I'm in the middle of the Goldenglow Estate questline). One of my previous saves also won't load, even though what I removed wasn't even touched during that save since it was a fresh start.

Edited by Lunaus

Crap...I missed the patches in your mod list....sorry about that.

As for TESV, I didn't mean for cleaning. I noticed your BOSS log didn't show anything needing it. All I was trying to convey was to have TESV load up all of your plug ins...it might take a minute or so...but see if it does with no error, which I now see it found one. But the error will tell you that you are having loading issues with your mods. Now that you removed that one, try TESV again, loading everything and see if you get an error. Unfortunately, nothing can tell us specifically, with 100% success....which mods conflict with each other. Even BOSS can't do that. It 'suggests' a optimal load order, but for everything it does.....at the end of the day, all it truly is, is a group of programmers offering up their 'best guess'.

<p>After making sure the mod was completely removed from my load-up I ran TES5Edit again and I saw no errors, but the game still freezes (it's gotten shorter to how long in-game it takes to freeze) - I'm worried my saves might be corrupted, I'm going to try and start over with saves and see if the issue persists.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thank you for all the help so far.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>EDIT: Also by the way, does anyone know where this comes from? TSLCFgamma.esp I'm currently checking all my mods for this file and as of right now I cannot pinpoint what it's from.</p>

Edited by Lunaus

Yeah...the trouble with save games is that you can never get them 'clean'. So for instance you play for a few days, get 7 save games created then install a mod. You play for a few more days then discover that mod is causing troubles. You find out that it has some scripts that just don't want to cooperate with another of your mods. You uninstall the mod that's causing the trouble....you remove all the files and are even fortunate enough to find AND remove all the scripts it installed. Everything is good, right? Wrong....EVERY save game that you created with that troublesome mod STILL has references to those scripts....Thus problems continue because those saves and every save after will constantly look for those scripts.

The only viable solution is to lose those couple of days of game play that you had with that mod, and fall back to a save prior to you installing it. Welcome to the save game BS of Skyrim. Gone are the days of Fallout save games. Saves that you could clean if a mod caused troubles...thus allow you to continue using it.

Sad thing is even with a New Game the freezing still happens. I also started getting a red tint which I hope is solved after restoring my Skyrim.ini, I suppose I'll probably have to do another fresh install of all my mods from a vanilla Skyrim again. D:

Can you monitor your System RAM usage in the background? Freezes usually occur from maxing out the 32-bit engine's limit (around 3.2 GB). If Skyrim is getting close to this limit, CleanMem may be able to at least prolong your playtime before experiencing a freeze. A guide with some possibly useful information on CleanMem and Skyrim can be found here.

Your crashes may be due to Papyrus overload. You've got quite a number of mods that run scripts in the background plus WarZONES which gets really Papyrus heavy when it spawns 10 actors at once. Adding/altering the following lines under the [Papyrus] section of your Skyrim.ini (located at \My Documents\My Games\Skyrim\) may increase stability:

fUpdateBudgetMS=1.2
fExtraTaskletBudgetMS=1.2

These are delays where the game literally pauses for x milliseconds, every-so-often, in order for the Papyrus VM to do it's thing. Increasing these may increase stability. The values shown (1.2) are the default values. I'd start between 10 and 12 for both settings and then, if that helps, bump it down from there. Setting these too high will cause massive microstutter, too low can be a source of crashes. So far two people I've helped (who had similarly Papyrus heavy load orders) have seen improvements in stability through increasing these. Please post back if these tweaks help; details (regarding whether or not they helped you, how low you were able to tweak them, etc.) would be appreciated.

Regarding the Official High Res Texture Pack comment from earlier, an alternative solution would be to unpack the .bsa's (with BSAOpt or a similar program), copy them as loose files to your \Skyrim\Data\Textures\ directory, and then setting the game up to not load the .bsa archives (either via .esp or the .ini resource list) may be an effective alternative. Obviously, choosing not to overwrite any files belonging to other texture replacers would be recommended. You can even pack the OHRTP into a .7zip and use NMM/MO to install it for easy install/uninstall/overwrite history. If three different versions of a texture exist (one in the normal textures.bsa, one in the HRTP.bsa and one in loose files, the game loads all three into memory. This tip cuts out the redundantly loaded textures without losing the high res textures that aren't covered by other mods. I believe this can even be done with the normal textures.bsa though the impact on memory would be much smaller as it's textures are, on average, about four times smaller than the OHRTP.

Edited by MShoap13

Dunno why but those fields under Papyrus don't exist in my Skyrim.ini file :/

I'll also try out the second bit of your post if things persist, as I did a clean install of Skyrim before reading your post so - so far so good on a fresh start.

You would have to add those 2 lines manually to your skyrim.ini. They are not listed in it by default.

I'd imagine now with a fresh/clean install, your issues will clear out. The extracting of the .bsa? I can't remember for certain, and I am in no way meaning to minimize the help you were offered....but if I remember correctly, I think I recall that as not being an ideal thing to do. The files were packed into .bsa files for a reason...extracting them and then dumping them into you data folder was not their intended purpose.

But like I said, I am not certain....and I don't want/mean to dispute any suggestions when I myself can't debate whether or not the advice was good. So I'd just say to research that a bit...IF you have to go that route. But here is hoping that you don't now after your new install. :)