Broken save files

senny135

Hey,

While I was reinstalling Skyrim I screwed up my characters irreparably by misplacing some of the save files. Although I can load a savegame, whenever the loading screen pops up ( when waiting, fast travelling, sleeping) the game crashes to desktop. I know it may sound stupid, but is there a way I could maybe clone my character ( along with stats, skills, quest progress etc.) into a new game?Or is there an alternative? I have tried every solution I could dig up, but none seemed to work and it would be shame to have wasted all those hours I put into my chars. :(

I am not sure if this is the same problem but a while back i had a ctd everytime i 'tried' to save, what fixed it for me is going to my save folder
C:\Users\'user name'\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Saves

Then deleted (xxxxxx.ess.bak) files, bak files seem to cause Ctd but ess is the main format for saving, ess is good, bak is bad from what i understand.

So just delete .bak and try again

Ofcourse backup your saves before trying to delete anything.

Hope this works :happy:

You cannot load from tmp files. I suggest you delete those. Then, you only have one recent full save. Try that. If it is corrupted, you can try going back further....

Quicksaves and autosaves are notorious for becoming corrupt. I suggest you may avoid this problem entirely in the future if you train yourself to make full saves often and disable the quick save/autosave.

Thanks for the advice! I disabled autosaving, deleted the tmp files and now it seems that i can fast travel and wait, but the saving problem persists. I also reinstalled the game and disabled all my mods.

Well the problem with disabling all your mods is that you can create orphaned scripts that way, which get into your save files...also applying an old save to a new game has problems for the previous reason, and also that your game may be relying on things that are no longer there. (This can also be a problem with using old saves--you may have changes something that the save depends on, and that might be why you are still having problems)

Personally. I would start a clean install, new game, no mods. STEP has a guide on reverting to vanilla without reinstalling, as well.

After that, when you add mods or other changes, I'd suggest to do so slowly, run BOSS and check to be sure its all working before continuing. If a problem arises don't do anything until you fix it or you will just end up with a bunch of bad saves.

If you do not use quicksaves or autosaves, the chance of corrupt saves is much decreased, but you may occasionally run into them. For example, it I happen to save when the game is in the middle of executing a script (like my player dismounting his horse), I end up with a corrupt save. Frequent full saves make it easy, though to discard that save and return to the previous. I end up with thousands. You can always go into the save file and delete a bunch of the old ones if you are using too much of your hard drive.

• 1 month later...