Modded armor with skin/face matching

Ilyarra

Recently I purchased a new computer because my old one died which means I lost all the mods I had previously (some of which are no longer available which makes me sad) as well as the mod setup I used. So, I have been redownloading what I can and getting my game set up.

I downloaded my favorite armors and have been trying to use them but the skin that shows through on them does not match the skin color of the face. I don't remember having this problem before, but it is very likely that old age has set in and my memory is messed up. I know this was an issue with daimod but I have used Frosty exclusively for a long time now and have pictures of previous characters in the same armor that I am trying to get to match and the skin and face are the same color. I don't remember having to do anything special, but as I said... memory is not necessarily my strong suit. After two days of searching the forums and google, I have come to a point where I am ready to throw in the towel. I am not a mod creator. I have attempted to start learning more than once but the headache it gives me (literally) is not worth it when there are so many amazing mods out there from people who are far more talented than I, otherwise I would simply fix the skin color and move on. Seriously outside my skillset, however.

I have removed all my mods, rebooted and tried installing just the mods and the skin texture, as well as rearrange the load order. I have done a complete uninstall, reboot, reinstall, reboot... still no luck. I am using the most up to date version of Frosty, my graphic drivers are caught up... I have tried everything I can think of.

Is this just a case of a bad memory and I can't get the skin and face to match unless I match the face to the color of skin in the armor or is there perhaps some other reason that I am not picking up on.

What armour mods are you using?

Normally, how skin matches up to the face in-game is the body texture is pale and see-through, so that it can be overlayed on top of the inquisitor's skintone texture, and since the body texture is see-through, it allows the skin tone to colour their body to match the face.

Some NPCs do not have see-through body textures, so if you use a mod to wear their armour, the body skintone will not match up with the face, unless the modder has done extra edits to make the skin tintable. This includes outfits of people like Flemeth, Varric, Iron Bull and Morrigan - none of these characters have tintable skin normally.

Additionally, a lot of armour retextures on nexus that have exposed skin in areas the armour normally doesn't, do not use see-through body textures and instead use solid body textures. This also means the skin will not tint with the inquisitor's face. In those cases, though, sometimes the modders publish multiple versions of the mod for the different skintones, so you can try see if there are any options on the mod page you downloaded from for different skintones. Bare in mind though, if there are any options, they will have been recreated by eye and won't use the game's actual in-game skintones, so it may not match up completely. This is common in both frosty and in dai mod manager textures, especially on textures for the pajamas.

The complexions also have a similar system - normally, you have a pale base texture that is see-through so the skintone can tint it from underneath. But, some complexions have different base colours, even in an unmodded game, and sometimes people publish solid complexion mods instead of see-through ones which introduces more detail to the skin, but also means it will only match up with certain skin colours.

If you're finding that this is happening even without retextures, some armours in-game do have a disconnect with the skintone of the body and the face too.

Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it. Most of the armor mods I use are made by KittenTails. I have tried both HF and EF armors, neither are working for me at the moment. The one I specifically have used in the past that had the body skin color match the face is the Flemeth x Vivienne Mashup at https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonageinquisition/mods/2537?tab=files.

Hmm. Well those armour mods are made in a different way to a lot of mods on nexus, the skin texture from that page isn't painted on solidly, it's done in the same way skins are done in an unmodded game, so theoretically, they should match up.

If you are in the black emporium or in character creation wearing one of those outfits, the skin will look paler until you confirm your character's customization changes, and then it should match up. If it doesn't match up even outside these areas, I would maybe check to see if you have any conflicting mods, or see if putting on a different complexion helps, because some have different undertones to them.

Otherwise, if non of that helps, it may help to say exactly how it does not match up - for example, if you have on the darkest skin tone, does the body look super white? This mean it's not tinting at all. Or does it look slightly dark, but muted in colour? If it's the latter, then it's likely that the skin is still tinting, it just doesn't match up perfectly, which can be caused by multiple reasons: the base colour for the skin may not be entirely the same, the opacity of the skin may not be exactly the same, or, even with both the opacity and the base colour matched to original skin textures, sometimes it just doesn't look exactly the same in all areas even without mods, unfortunately.

Edited by Dmitrias

I am going to chalk this up to user error because that is the only thing I can think of it being. I deleted my mods folder in frosty and my folder in documents/bioware/dai, then rebooted and reinstalled and it is working... to a point. A point I can live with. As long as I wear armor that covers up the chest/neck area it isn't so noticeable now. The difference in color before was like keys on a piano. Drastic. I also turned everything up to ultra, not just the stuff needed to make things appear in game. Maybe that helped also.

When I did the uninstall/reinstall previously I must have missed something or... something.

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate you taking the time to try and help me figure this out!