How to make a Kill Notification script?

PapaLegaBooboo

Good Morning,

I'm totally new to modding Oblivion, and I would like to see how this is done. Basically, when a creature or NPC is killed, I want to write a message on the screen saying, *blank* has been killed, where 'blank' is the name of the creature or NPC that died by my hands or by someone else's hand.

Thanks in advance.

This will of course require some scripting, and I bet you already figured that out right? But firstly, what is your experience with CS or coding? It is best if you start with something more simple than scripting the first thing you do and I suggest you start at the CS Wiki and do the Beginner tutorials first and we deal with scripting later? What ye think?

I think you should build us a dungeon as this tutorial has all basics for it and it is a damn good way to make your first mod.

If you wanna build a home instead, use this tutorial which have all the basics.

No matter what, making your own stuff is damn fun as soon as you get started really.

I agree with Pellape in that a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

The 'easy' way is to add/edit the OnDeath event for every actor in a new esp...
1. A heap of work to edit Oblivion and SI yet fail to cover any other mod's actors.
2. Well Done!! We've just broken a good part of what the Unofficial patches are doing.

Forget the 'easy' way!

A dynamic way is to use OBSE SetEventHandler but the overall process needs to keep things clean. When the player changes cells it needs to remove the handler from actors that are out of range.

I have this coded, debugged and working but the old adage "give a person a fish, teach a person...". Once you feel you've followed Pellape's advice, feel free to message me. While I'm not so concerned about you building houses, I'm just as concerned about you not breaking other people's work and the knowledge that requires - to me, that is the part of the road less travelled.

Example including a bit of stuff from what I'm working on - watch the top left area when something gets killed.