Dawnguard - annoyed at backstory

ZenonSeth

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Molag_Bal

First line:

Molag Bal is the Daedric Prince whose sphere is the domination and enslavement of mortals. He is known as the King of Rape and the Harvester of Souls.

His being is defined by what he does - his entire purpose is to control and belittle those he can, by whatever means required, no restrictions. Skyrim case in point: He commands you beat someone with his mace, he dies. what does Bal do? Resurrects him so you can have another go at it - simply because he wants to hear the words "I submit" - after he gets what he wants, you get tasked with killing him anyway, again giving Bal what he wants - the soul of the very man you just killed (twice).

So yes, what he does is horrifying - because in most cases, it works.

He praises those with the strength of will to rise above others, in the case of the women selected for the ritual - being raped by him, surviving the ordeal and then continuing to exist shows him that inner strength - the reward? Their newly found Vampiric state and all the powers that go with it. Including - powers that involve some sort of controlling aspect (raise dead to fight for you, call animals for the same purpose, etc).

I suppose that clarifies it rather well. I guess I just don't like Molag Bal then. :P

Still, the way Serana says that "it was degrading" instead of "OMG! So painful, I have many scars from it!" is still a bit weird. I guess that's just the way she rolls.

No, she actually delivers that line rather well and appropriately Billyro....it's not that common for a woman who goes through something so degrading, humiliating and painful event to want to relive it time and again in her mind....Most women want to get it as far from their memories as they can, separate themselves from the event as such...plus don't want to advertise their humiliation to the world....Serana's reaction is a lot more realistic than "OMG! It was painful!"....Most victims of such Crimes do not want to talk about it, do not want to re-live it....talking about it is re-living it, as you have to think about the details to make statements about it.

Ha, yeah that makes sense. Perhaps my example was a bit too... you know, but you know what I'm sayin', right? I can understand that she would dismiss it as if it was nothing because that means she doesn't have to think about it.

Guess it's just not my approach.

I do understand what your saying, I guess I just have trouble imagining "spilling it" as such, as I wouldn't/couldn't myself...just not really my way, but I do know there are a lot of people who prefer to "spill it", whether I understand the drive to or not.

She's not actually 'dismissing it as nothing'....more the opposite....Have you heard the expression 'Too painful to talk about' (or to think about)? That's the idea behind Serana's dialog.

Yeah. I've practically never used that approach in my life (I'm a very direct person) but I can understand that.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic