⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

R&D AI Improvements

Amineri

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't stand in the open. :smile:

I see this as an alternative to activating all pods at the start of the battle. AI usually performs poorly, when player units are out of sight. But this method will allow to keep original activation mechanics, still giving aliens some chances to shoot back. In early game they may just go on overwatch, in mid-to-late game they may have a chance of firing at you (50%, for example).

One big problem with pod activation: if you careful enough, you activate a pod and then wipe it, because they don't fire and don't overwatch, so you can just run to them and shoot them in the face the same turn. If they at least overwatch, first, you'll have to be careful not to stand in the open even with no pods active, second, you couldn't just run and wipe them.

I'd like to try this mechanics for a change, but I'm not sure I have enough skills to make necessary changes.

Standing in the open isn't what I was talking about. I'm talking about the aliens (worst being the melee ones and the cyberdiscs) getting double movement and shots. They could easily get from their activation point to an player in it's own first turn, then it would be able to attack. Trust me, it will increase casualties by about 50%, since they basically get 2 turns in a row if you discover them on your turn.

No, they won't get double movement. This code is what gives them that free movement in the first place. Melee units aren't affected by it, so they still get their one movement as usual. Others will just go to overwatch instead of doing nothing, that's all.

This isn't like giving them a free turn during your turn, as they will perform limited (scripted) actions only.

Small example from the existing code.

Say, you activated a Cyberdisc. In EW it will immediately go into overwatch. Or, if you have "Itchy Trigger Tentacle" enabled, it will have 50% chance to shoot or go to overwatch. Still, I've completed EW with zero casualties. :smile:

If I will be able to change the code, activated Sectoid will run for cover as usual and then go to overwatch. You'll still have your turn to deal with the situation. And with "Itchy Trigger Tentacle" enabled Sectoid will have 50% chance to shoot at you instead of going into overwatch.

Ah, you don't understand. The double movement is if they walk into your sight. Whereupon they've been moving, then are discovered. They then move again (2nd movement). Then they shoot.

On the other hand, if you discover them during your turn, they move, shoot, then it becomes their turn, allowing them to move and shoot again.

When patrol walks into your sight in their turn they just move to cover. No other actions are performed. That's why it is common tactics to stay in the open and overwatch while you haven't activated any pods: you can't get shot.

If you discover them your turn, you still have time to deal with the situation.

Edited by wghost81

I am not worried about these two legitimate problems, because I have already solved them in my mod (at least for EU) - tactic of activate pod, then kill them before they can do anything was solved by activating aliens fix (made by me and it is buried in sands of time here - http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/830340-turning-on-alien-pods-by-default/?p=8469456; however, I wonder if that solution still works), and this cheesy tactic of leaving soldiers with no cover was denied (in my mod) by reaction fire. However, now I absolutely hate that person, who decided that teleporting activated aliens would be brilliant idea (so I need this "disable teleport movement" fix ASAP; there is just not enough words to express my frustration about this so called mechanic).

Edited by Tycus

As I said earlier, AI performs poorly when not seeing player, which often results in alien hiding in corners or flanking themselves.

I was able to make aliens go on overwatch on activation, it works, but visualization if awful: two subsequent calls of MoveToCover and DoOverwatch result in alien go on overwatch and then take cover. :smile: Seems, I need to pause script while they're moving. But, since I don't have much space, I will need to partially remove "Itchy Trigger Tentacle" code. Only thing is, I have no idea about UE states and events system. :D But trial and error method works. :smile: