Weapon mod floats when dropped

IOPASD

Two possible solutions ... EngineBugFixes has a fix since version 1.0 or Elz - No Floating Weapon.

I was already using the Elz solution before the EBF solution came out, but I did test the EBF version and it seemed to me to work as well as the Elz method. Ultimately for my current character I continued with the Elz solution (I don't tend to switch horses in mid-stream).

- Edit - For some background on the problem ... I saw a post in the comments somewhere a long time back that alerted me to the cause being later versions of the Growlf skeleton, but I have since never been able to relocate where I found the info.

There is also a problem with those later skeleton.nifs causing enemies to go flying (sometimes great distances) when they are killed in certain ways (magic over time or poisons are the most common for me). To "solve" that problem I use a combination of Basic Physical Activities and Realistic Fatigue with INIs tweaked so that NPCs (and thus also the player) collapse to the ground from low fatigue before dying (the low fatigue is the result of low health). Works a treat but it does have implications on how you play the game, so I'd class it as "an acquired taste".

Going by the comments on that mod from back in 2012 it reads like this is a known issue. Maybe the porter did a mistake when they ported the NIF from Skyrim and now the Havok feature on the world model is faulty or something.

Would have to take a look into the NIF to know for sure, but my lack of free time won't allow it.

Going by the comments on that mod from back in 2012 it reads like this is a known issue. Maybe the porter did a mistake when they ported the NIF from Skyrim and now the Havok feature on the world model is faulty or something.

Would have to take a look into the NIF to know for sure, but my lack of free time won't allow it.

What I don't have an answer for is why the problem isn't more widely reported. That skeleton.nif (or it's variants) are probably the most widely used, or at least close to it. That leads me to think there needs to be some other factors at play that determine whether or not the problem is seen.

What I don't have an answer for is why the problem isn't more widely reported. That skeleton.nif (or it's variants) are probably the most widely used, or at least close to it. That leads me to think there needs to be some other factors at play that determine whether or not the problem is seen.

Which problem do you mean exactly? From my point of view I'm not seeing a relation between the actor skeleton in use and a mod the first few comments of which are talking about the weapon's physics being broken and it not dropping to the ground.

Which problem do you mean exactly? From my point of view I'm not seeing a relation between the actor skeleton in use and a mod the first few comments of which are talking about the weapon's physics being broken and it not dropping to the ground.

The two problems I have found to be related to the Growlf skeleton.nif are the floating weapon for dead NPCs and the problem of NPCs flying through the air upon death by either timed poison or spell effect over time. When I was troubleshooting the problems they disappeared whenever I switched to the Coronerra skeleton and returned when I switched back to any Growlf based skeleton.

The two mods I linked that are focused on the floating weapon problem both work as advertised. My solution to the flying through the air on death problem is a home grown solution I came up up with (which is also 100% effective).

Two possible solutions ... EngineBugFixes has a fix since version 1.0 or Elz - No Floating Weapon.

I was already using the Elz solution before the EBF solution came out, but I did test the EBF version and it seemed to me to work as well as the Elz method. Ultimately for my current character I continued with the Elz solution (I don't tend to switch horses in mid-stream).

- Edit - For some background on the problem ... I saw a post in the comments somewhere a long time back that alerted me to the cause being later versions of the Growlf skeleton, but I have since never been able to relocate where I found the info.

There is also a problem with those later skeleton.nifs causing enemies to go flying (sometimes great distances) when they are killed in certain ways (magic over time or poisons are the most common for me). To "solve" that problem I use a combination of Basic Physical Activities and Realistic Fatigue with INIs tweaked so that NPCs (and thus also the player) collapse to the ground from low fatigue before dying (the low fatigue is the result of low health). Works a treat but it does have implications on how you play the game, so I'd class it as "an acquired taste".

Sadly, Engine bug fixes is a mod I already have installed. So, no luck there.

I have spare time. Care to tell me what to look for? I know some NifSkope

I have no idea ... the only thing I know is that the problem first appeared a few versions back in the Growlf based skeletons (which is going back quite a long while these days). The only version I have is the latest version (1.81) ... which is also the only version available for download currently. I can't say for certain what the last version was that doesn't have the problem.