Attaching Sparks To An Object

DocClox

I want to be able to generate sparks from one node on a nif, and I want to be able to turn it on and off.

I've read a bit about effect node numbers, and I think I can probably set up the node, but I'm not clear on how to turn it on and off. Or is the best approach to attach a sparker to a node and enable/disable it depending on need?

If anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be fantastic.

A static, although it doesn't have to be. It's supposed to be a movable laser head.

[edit]

OK. Got basic sparks working. I found the Addon Node Resource Cell mod, and copied the mode in question to my nif. That still didn't work, so I copied across the flags and now it shows up just fine.

Still leaves the question of turning it off and on, however. I suppose I can change the type of my laser head to something that will take a script, although I'm still not sure where to go from there. Or I can create an nif with just the effect, attach that to the laser head, and then enable and disable it at need.

Sounds like a plan, anyway.

[edit]

Yeah, that worked. Put the spark node in its own nif, attached it to the laser head, and then enable it whenever I want sparks.

Edited by DocClox

NIControllerSequences scare me :smile: I used them successfully in a recent Skyrim project, but they're still a bit new for me and therefore intimidating.

I suppose I really should make the effort and use them a bit more to get it all locked in a bit tighter.

Edited by DocClox

I have been avoiding AddonNodes as it seems the index numbers need to be unique in a game, so creating new custom forms for lights that are not supported in the base game could cause collisions.

Anyone know what happens (instant or over time) when two mods in a save game both use the same AddOnNode index for a new form ?

Adding REF_ATTACH_NODE and scripting PlaceAtNode has runtime overhead which I'd like to avoid, but not at the potential cost of yet more static conflicts.

NIControllerSequences scare me :smile: I used them successfully in a recent Skyrim project, but they're still a bit new for me and therefore intimidating.

I suppose I really should make the effort and use them a bit more to get it all locked in a bit tighter.

Find a relatively simple vanilla nif that has some basic on/off functions in game, and dissect it in Nifskope. It won't take long to get a feel for what makes them tick. I started with the NeonSign-AnimatedOpen.nif from the Wasteland Workshop DLC. It uses NiVisControllers and NiBoolInterpolators to toggle visibility, which I've come to find is one of the simplest functions you can build into a nif. The WorkshopIndCatLight.nif, found under Meshes/SetDressing/LightFixtures is another relatively simple, base game nif I would recommend exploring.

Good advice. I started off with nif animations following the FPI tutorials, and they were great until I got to multiple controllers and then I ended up hopelessly confused.

Maybe I should try going at this from the ground up like I usually do.