Yes to all?

Namyquis

Ive only found one other post about this and it said general rule of thumb is to say yes to all. Im trying to download 2k textures and water. Both mods when i try to install ask to overwrite certain folders from skyrim flora overhual which i already have installed. is this combination of mods compatible? And should i just say yes to all or no. its only 1 folder i believe so i could say yes to folder or no to folder correct? also forgot to mention i have the bethesda texture pack and dg db dlc.

I personally would let Vurt's Flora take precedent over both of said mods as Vurt's textures are specifically designed for his tree/shrub meshes.

In the case of WATER, it may be trying to overwrite things near bodies of water in which case you'd pretty much need to track down exactly what files between WATER and VFO are for the same things, and then test in-game which looks best to you.

I'd definitely let VFO and WATER override HD2K. Nothing against HD2K as it's got a lot of beautiful artwork, but VFO and WATER are focused mods and getting Vurt's trees but not his grass or getting WATER's beaches but not it's lake-side rocks just feel wrong.

Edited by MShoap13

I forgot to say i was using nexus mod manager to download and install... but im not sure how to do what your saying. Should i just load vfo and water after 2k to override it. Or install those after 2k and let them overwrite the folders that conflict?

NMM will ask if Mod A's resources should overwrite each specific mod's (ModB, Mod C...) resources that Mod A has in common with them (assuming they've all been installed by NMM). "Yes to Mod" and "No to Mod" are usually the best choices. As far as directly comparing a single texture, I find it's a lot easier to do so when dealing with the files manually.

Steps I'm suggesting:

Install HD2K

Install WATER and choose yes to HD2K

Install VFO and choose yes to both

If you want to get more technical than that, you'd have to dig through the archives manually and see exactly which textures between WATER and VFO overlap and figure out exactly what objects those are applied to and then go in-game and compare them yourself.

Edited by MShoap13

seems like they are such populaer mods somebody should know this information.

Outside of VFO's trees and shrubs having altered meshes that require VFOs textures, and WATER's specific alterations to shorelines to reduce the sharpness of the line where water bodies begin, it's entirely personal preference. There is no right or wrong answer to give you other than experiment for yourself and see what you like best. :dry:

Edited by MShoap13

MShoap13 is steering you right, the easiest way, in my eyes at least, would be to compare how the water and surroundings look with VFO to screenshots from WATER.

i'd install 2k, then VFO then water and go through one by one picking yes or no for overrides, that way no plant textures get changed and you choose what you get

worse case scenario, you uninstall and reinstall one or both and replace them in your load order. I like to fiddle and will take some time if i want to change in game visuals, but i have time to tweak. just my opinion and suggestion

Simple... follow logic :P

Start with large overhauls like your Skyrim HD, after it in more details.. both water and flora are part of the environment, but environment is bigger.. so you have to overwrite Skyrim HD with your Water and overwrite both of those with Flora... if you had more environment changes eg. Rock textures, Moss, specific trees, grass, etc, they'd come after that as well...

Just try and remember to go from large to small as it makes no sense to even install the smaller ones if you like the larger ones more anyway, right?

You can apply this same logic to any mod classification, but keep in mind that this does not take compatibility into account, just installation sequence.

That's not a 'problem'... you have to remove the Skyrim folder manually after uninstallation...

See uninstall guide on STEP to completely remove Skyrim from your system before you reinstall it again;

http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Troubleshooting#tab=Restore_Vanilla_Skyrim

You can also just uninstall the game and remove these folder (this will remove all data related to skyrim, including your save games!)

1. Uninstall the game via Uninstall

2. Manually remove the Skyrim installation folder where ever you've placed it. By default it's %programfiles%\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim on 32 bit, or %programfiles(x86)%\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim for a 64-bit OS.

3. Manually remove the folder %userprofile%\AppData\local\Skyrim

4. Manually remove the folder %userprofile%\My Document\My Games\Skyrim (watch out, your save games are here)

You might (or not) wanna have a backup of your ini files, load order, installed mods, save games, texture folder (for all those manual textures), meshes folder (for all those manual meshes)... but that's all up to you.