Immersive, 100% marker-free World Map

Dahveed

I posted a related discussion on the Detective thread:

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/485981-skyrim-mod-detectives-thread/page-362&do=findComment&comment=8048805

Basically I am looking for a way to completely clear my world map lf ALL markers - quest, player, objective, location, etc.

I am trying to make a very immersion-centered character which uses no HUD (already using iHUD), but when you open your map up in "real life" you don't get all these funny little blinking lights and white LED-style markers all over the place. You get your map, that's it, and it's your job to find out where you are on it and where you're going from there.

I can type TMM 0,0,0 in the console commands to get rid of all the markers - thanks Darkangel13 - but every time i discover a new location it adds it again. I would need a way to not only clear all the markers but stop the game from ever adding new ones as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

compiling a bat might help you. theoretically you can tell the game to execute the bat file everytime you discover something new...it might show you what you've discovered then but then it should deactivate all map markers again

i think compiling this bat is easier than making a mod for that sole purpose

It wouldn't be difficult to remove all the map markers in an .esp. It would, however, take several hours, so I don't really want to spend the time.

About the second part, you can get rid of objective markers permanently with a couple simple .ini tweaks. I'm not on my home computer, or I'd check which tweaks you need.
If you turn off objective markers, I highly recommend this mod for immersion purposes.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/32695/?

In real life, you don't have a hovering objective marker. However, in real life you can ask for directions or buy a map or something. In Skyrim you can't ask for directions, so you either use the objective marker or wander aimlessly for 15 hours trying to find a single fort. That mod is a good compromise.

Edited by Rennn

It wouldn't be difficult to remove all the map markers in an .esp. It would, however, take several hours, so I don't really want to spend the time.

About the second part, you can get rid of objective markers permanently with a couple simple .ini tweaks. I'm not on my home computer, or I'd check which tweaks you need.

If you turn off objective markers, I highly recommend this mod for immersion purposes.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/32695/?

In real life, you don't have a hovering objective marker. However, in real life you can ask for directions or buy a map or something. In Skyrim you can't ask for directions, so you either use the objective marker or wander aimlessly for 15 hours trying to find a single fort. That mod is a good compromise.

I checked out that mod and it looks fantastic, thanks!

Did you get a chance to look into those tweaks? I'm really insteresed in trying this out. I've already done all the main quests and a lot of the side stuff, so for me it wouldn't be too much of an issue having to run around for "15 hours" or whatever, since I'm on my 7th or 8th character by now. I'm just trying to find a way to add new challenge to the game, and the way my game is set up just getting from one town to another is an ordeal.

If it's just a couple tweaks I could easily make a backup file of my old ini in case things screw up.

Any more help would be greatly appreciated!

To turn off all objective markers (not map markers), these tweaks would be under the [Gameplay] category of your Skyrimprefs.ini.

[GamePlay]
bShowFloatingQuestMarkers=0
bShowQuestMarkers=0
To turn off your compass, you would set this under the [interface] category of your Skyrimprefs.ini. I personally recommend that you either leave your compass on, or bring along a very talkative follower to comment on nearby caves and ruins. I've found that removing the compass can very easily be more annoying than it's worth. It just tempts me to open the world map every 5 seconds... :/
[interface]
bShowCompass=1

To get rid of map markers, you'd need someone to enter the CK and delete every single map marker in every cell in Skyrim. Map markers are actually invisible items just like chairs or light sources, which you drag and drop into the world. Deleting them manually would take a few hours and carries a high risk of conflicts with other mods that affect the exterior world of Skyrim. As I said, I don't have the motivation to do it with all the stress and drama in my real life atm.

Okay thanks Renn, I appreciate your effort for the explanation... I guess it's something that is much more trouble than it's worth.

(As for the compass, I already have iHUD mod installed so I can toggle it on and off in-game, a terrific mod, that.)

Thank you very much!

-Dave

I tried at first a mod that removes your GPS on the standard map -the map that you open when you press "M" or whatever but although you don't see any arrow anymore it still centers on your character?The best deal I've found is EquipableMap_2 but the mod should make the map a 2 hands usable object as as it is if you wear a shield the shield magically go right through the map which is obviously a bug, also the view angle is quite strange and the map lacks in details.

The explanation given by Rennn is silly because you find very often all kind of locations that are marked on the map so you can find out quite often where you are on a non-GPS map, you don't have to hover for 15 hours "or whatever" to find where you are.

I found a way to avoid the lack of a standard non-GPS map by using the map ONLY when I am inside known locations -that the game writes when you enter them, not very inventive but it do what it should do -considering that people would give me directions here anyway. Or peeking on the map only when I meet a character on the road, for the same reason.

P.S.: I don't know why the company thought that throwing in a goddamn GPS mechanism in an heavy based (exploring inviting?) RPG is a good thing.

@ k0parshEE I agree the map/fast travel options are a bit too easy - hell EVERYTHING about vanilla is too easy - but I don't think you can blame Bethesda specifically.

It's a trend recently in video games in general, that everything has to be very easy and very "accessible" or the devs fear that people will find it frustrating and not play/buy the game.

You have to spoonfeed people everything nowadays... I remember playing original NES games getting my ass kicked on a regular basis. The late 80s and early 90s IMO was the golden era of difficulty in gaming.

I too am looking for this. We had it at one time. Paper Map w/Height allowed this. If you followed the simple instructions to zero out the Z axis it essentially removes all of the markers.

Sadly, the mod was abandoned and thus suffered incompatibilities with patch 1.8 and shut it down. Others have taken up the project and the most recent being Warbugs 3D Paper Map but he says he tried to make it flat and it's impossible. Not sure how that is exactly, but that's the word.

Maybe someone can take the original meshes and textures and incorporate them to work with the current patch. That would solve everything.

• 3 weeks later...

It's possible for maps to be flat, but it breaks the discoverability of locations. I can't fathom why Bethesda would do it this way (laziness no doubt), but the 3D map and the in-world map are somehow intrinsically linked, such that if you flatten the map and go to a location that is above the map's Z plane, you will not discover it.

Wacky, I know.

However, some people like to play without map markers of any kind. For them, a flat map might be without drawback, though I suspect it maaaay break some quests that require you to discover locations. Can't say for sure.