Is it possible to plant a tree under sea water

BlitzyBoi

• 2 weeks later...

The only possible way is to grow them in underwater greenhouses housed within sea domes (I forget the name of them) and positioned on or near a plateau that is relatively close to the surface to allow the admission of light. You would need someway to desalinate seawater (unless you plan to ship fresh water via submarine, which is costly and unnecessary); -- there already exists complex machinery that can achieve this, on ships apparently. This of course requires energy, and unless it is solar powered, you would probably need to position it either near a thermal vent or an underwater volcano. Now this is assuming that it's a tree that thrives off of freshwater. Some trees, such as mangroves, thrive in estuaries where fresh water mixes with seawater, and in theory, could be adapted to underwater habitats (for what purpose, I don't know why but this is theoretical anyway). All you would need to do then is to provide the soil and to find someway to cycle the oxygen out of the habitat and replace it with carbon dioxide, unless you plan to have living beings there (likely), wherein a balance can be struck with oxygen and CO2 levels in the air through the very organisms that live within that environment. I won't discuss the engineering difficulties of constructing underwater sea domes since I understand very little of that, but I know that the weight of the ocean above the structure is the most "pressing" (heh) problem. Figure that out, and the rest is sure to happen.

It is actually very doable. Not impossible in the least. The only restraints are financial and the very urgency to want to undergo such a task to begin with. Underwater cities are being discussed right now as possible alternatives for human habitation since we're also trying to figure out space habitation, so we could expect to see designs or projects for such settlements as soon as our own century.

Edited by Saxhleel26