Can't Drop More than One of the Same Item

skjustforsh

I've run into this bug on multiple playthroughs, but I have yet to find a solution to it. I'm at the point of my current playthrough where I want to do some home decorating, but I find that I am unable to drop more than one of the same item. For example, let's say I want to lay out a few Welkynd Stones on a table. I'll drop the first one without any issues, and move it into place. When I drop the second one, however, the first one completely disappears.

Note that I can place as many of an item as I want in a container without issue. Additionally, I am very careful with my saving practices. I turn off auto-save and never overwrite existing saves. I also go back and delete older saves if I am sure that my current save is healthy.

I tried cleaning bloat with Wrye Bash, but it did not detect any bloat in my current save. I really have no idea what could be causing this. Maybe it's because I've been playing for a while (around 60 to 70 hours on my current save)?

I am running a lot of mods. Here is my load order:

Active Mod Files:

00  Oblivion.esm
01  Francesco's Leveled Creatures-Items Mod.esm  [Version 5.0]
02  Francesco's Optional New Items Add-On.esm  [Version 5.0]
03  Francesco's Optional New Creatures Add-On.esm  [Version 5.0]
04  RealisticLeveling.esm
05  Cobl Main.esm  [Version 1.74]
06  Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp  [Version 3.5.6b]
07  DLCShiveringIsles.esp
08  Unofficial Shivering Isles Patch.esp  [Version 1.5.9a]
09  Francesco's Creatures and Items Resources.esp  [Version 5.0]
0A  FransCalipersBeGone.esp
0B  DLCHorseArmor.esp
0C  DLCOrrery.esp
0D  DLCVileLair.esp
0E  DLCMehrunesRazor.esp
0F  DLCSpellTomes.esp
10  Armory of the Silver Dragon.esp
11  XiaNewAmuletsV1.esp
12  DLCThievesDen.esp
13  Francesco's Optional Dungeon Chest Loot.esp  [Version 5.0]
14  Francesco's Optional Leveled Guards.esp  [Version 5.0]
15  Francesco's Optional House Chest Loot.esp  [Version 5.0]
16  Francesco's Optional Leveled Quests.esp  [Version 5.0]
17  Francesco's Optional Leveled Arena.esp  [Version 5.0]
18  Imperial Furniture Renovated.esp
19  RuneTower.esp  [Version 1.1]
1A  DLCBattlehornCastle.esp
1B  DLCFrostcrag.esp
1C  Knights.esp
1D  Auto Update Leveled Items And Spells.esp  [Version 1.2.5]
1E  DecoratorAssistant with OBSE v1.1.esp
1F  kikaibookbelts-tail.esp
20  moremerchantmoneyv1.1.esp
21  Borderless Cyrodiil-3578.esp
22  Quest Award Leveller.esp  [Version 2.0.1]
23  Quest Award Leveller - Vile Lair.esp  [Version 2.1.0]
24  Quest Award Leveller - Mehrunes Razor.esp  [Version 2.1.0]
25  Quest Award Leveller - Knights of the Nine.esp  [Version 2.1.0]
26  EnchantmentMastery.esp
27  Mark & Recall.esp
28  SupremeMagicka.esp  [Version 0.90b]
29  SM_ShiveringIsles.esp  [Version 0.90]
2A  SM_DLCSpellTome.esp  [Version 0.90]
2B  SM_EnchantStaff.esp  [Version 0.90]
2C  SM_Scrolls.esp  [Version 0.90]
2D  SM_SigilStone.esp  [Version 0.90]
2E  MidasSpells.esp
2F  Syc_AtHomeAlchemy.esp
30  sycHearNoEvil.esp  [Version 1.0]
31  Bashed Patch, 0.esp
32  TheMagesHouse.esp
33  NecroLich.esp
34  Cobl Tweaks - SI.esp
35  Cobl Glue.esp  [Version 1.73]
36  Alternative Start by Robert Evrae.esp
37  Cobl Si.esp  [Version 1.63]
38  Tchos Alchemy Tower.esp
39  RespawningPearlsGemsGoldSilver.esp
3A  Essential Trainers-8374.esp
3B  Old Lady's Luck.esp

Note that the DLCFrostcrag.esp has been overwritten by Frostcrag Revisited Redux, per the readme instructions. I meant to do a clean install for this playthrough to get rid of that, but I was too lazy. Actually, I wonder if a clean install would fix the issue?
Anyway, any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.

All I can suggest is testing using a new game after uninstalling Decorator Assistant (so not using any of your current saves for that character to do the testing). If you are still seeing the problem then that will point you to some other mod in your load order being the problem rather than Decorator Assistant.

At that point OblivionAddicted's method of disabling a bunch of mods and test will be a possible method to find the culprit.

A quick look through Decorator Assistant's mod comments revealed plenty of people with problems, but I didn't stumble across anything that sounded like yours in my cursory search.

Hmm. It looks like someone on that mod's discussion page has had a similar problem years ago, but it doesn't look like it was definitively Decorator Assistant that was causing the problem. Interesting.

Anyway, I tried disabling the mod and starting a new character (I used the console to give myself a few Welkynd Stones). I was able to drop more than one ... so far so good. I then re-enabled the mod, to see if the problem would come back. Still, I was able to drop more than one. Finally, I bought the Decorator Assistant spells at the Mystic Emporium, thinking maybe it is the spells that cause the bug, but I was still able to drop more than one with the new character.

I'm thinking that maybe this bug has something to do with extended play time. As I said, I have somewhere between 60 and 70 hours on my current playthrough. Maybe the game is starting to have trouble remembering everything that I drop? I don't know. I'll try to keep experimenting to see if I can find the problem.

Thanks for your help, Striker.

The only extended playtime bug I know of is the stuck animation A-Bomb bug.

If you are using Wrye Bash it has an A-Bomb fix you can run, but the most modern solution is via EngineBugFixes (it has a fix that you enable once and never need to think about it ever again).

- Edit - Something you could try to help zero in on whether the problem A-Bomb related or not is to do some tests using old saves (if you keep old saves). Keep jumping back by steps in your save-line until you can't reproduce the problem. If you go all the way back to close to the beginning of your character's save-line and the problem can still be recreated then the A-Bomb is not likely the cause.

Unfortunately, I pretty regularly delete old saves. I don't have any from before I noticed the problem. I'll look into the A-Bomb issue, though. I was under the impression that the latest official patch fixed that, but maybe I'm wrong.

Here's an interesting update, though. Apparently, only some items seem to be effected. So far, I've only noticed it happening to Welkynd Stones. Varla Stones and Alchemy ingredients seem to be unaffected. I guess I shouldn't have assumed it was everything, but in previous playthroughs I've also seen it happen with skulls and books. Very strange.

I tried using Wrye Bash's A Bomb fix (I was at 22%), which didn't seem to work. However, I found that adding Welkynd Stones to my inventory with player.additem allowed me to drop multiple of the console added stones. I'm still not sure why the stones I already had were giving me trouble, but at least I can decorate my house now.

Thanks for your help, Striker. I appreciate that I could talk through this with someone.

Another type of item that has recently surfaced as "not exactly normal" is soul gems. Pellape has gone through a lot of head scratching over them (and one other user but memory fails me for their user name at the moment ... in any case Pellape responded on their threads too so a search of Pellape's posts will turn up the other).

I look at "features" like that as just Bethesda's way of showing us that Todd was 100% correct ... "It just works" (nobody notices the under the breath part of that statement ... "sometimes").