Too Glossy and Shiny!

Omny

I can't seem to figure out how to control the glossiness of my own meshes, or at least in a way that I actually want it to be.

See, I made a couple items- a weapon and a hat- and I've got almost everything done with them except for their specularity. When rendered in-game, they both have this weird, shiny quality to them as if they were lacquered.

I know this is a common problem from what I've seen, but so far none of the solutions I've tried have been helpful. I've been messing around in NifSkope for the past three hours and achieved little success. Can anyone help me?

For reference, I've been using Photoshop for the maps and 3DS Max 2010 for the meshes.

You have a all white alpha channel, the whiter the alpha in a normal map the more shine it has so try to make a darker or black channel.

I would do both if your not using any alpha in your mesh at all, they can both cause problems. Sometimes doing a all darkest black alpha and saving in photoshop can actually remove the alpha which the game can read as all white then.

Okay, I darkened both the alpha channels, but now I have a new problem: textures aren't showing up at all now! In Nifskope, the model just stays a solid white, even if I set the texture paths directly via the purple flower things.

I even tried opening up another project of mine (a hat) and editing the alpha channel, just to see what would happen. When I darkened that and saved it, it also turned solid white in Nifskope. So I undid what I had done in Photoshop, saved, and it STILL appears as solid white! Even deleting the Alpha Channel doesn't do anything. And now they're stuck like this and I have no idea what to do! The textures appear just fine in both Photoshop and 3DS Max, but it doesn't show up in either Nifskope or the GECK.

I swear, every moment it's one step forward and five steps back with these f**king mods. I'm three seconds away from either an aneurysm or just starting all over again from scratch.

Edited by Omny

• 6 months later...