Wisdom of the Ancestors - An Elder Scrolls RP

AurianaValoria1

Sitting in Jorrvaskr Grimskar mulled over the recent losses inflicted by the Thalmor. He only wished their was something else that could have been done, but he knew there wasn't. Still, he was itching to bring the fight to them, since in his mind he couldn't protect everyone by just sitting around here waiting for the next attack.

As if sent by the All-Maker himself, one of his fellow companions arrived with fresh news about newcomers to the city, "A group has entered the city, and there has been talk that they intend on fighting the Thalmor head on-"

Before they could finish what they were saying Grimskar stood up and walked quickly out of the mead hall. Outside he could easily see the group moving toward Dragonsreach, and quickly moved to catch up with them. From what he could see the group consisted of a knight-woman, an argonian warrior, and what seemed to be a blind man. Of course, there could be others he didn't yet see.

He approached the knight first, who seemed to be the most venerable, "I've heard word that you seek to fight back against the Thalmor. I am Grimskar, and I would lend you my aid in this task. I would like nothing more than to crush the skulls of these mer who so rightfully deserve it."

He examined the two fighters before him, though their worth couldn't be seen until the heat of battle. The same could be said for the blind man, but Grimskar only gazed to him quickly as he couldn't put his faith in the abilities of a man with no sight.

"They call me many things here: the Bear, the Frozen Hammer, Iceblood. But first and foremost I am a Companion, and I would ask if I could now be yours."

Edited by nethgros

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"If you wish to take the fight to the Thalmor, Grimskar," Okuras interjected, her voice tinged with bitterness, "Then you might indeed find welcome among us, which is more than what your Companions offered me. In times of crisis, we must put our petty differences aside...I would have thought the so-called 'noble' Companions would have known such a thing, but obviously even the smallest prejudices get in the way of the greatest warriors' common sense."

Felix listened to Grimskar's words, his acute hearing picking up the steady beating of his heart. This man meant them no harm or lie, he was genuine in his words, he smiled and nodded. 'He tells the truth Okuras, he means us no harm and he is honest about his oaths.' He said to Okuras as he tapped his staff once again on the cobblestone street, his minds eye lit up once again and gave him a decent view of what their new companion looked like. He smelled of ice and war and his accent was most certainly different then other nords, one he had heard on the isle of Solstheim many years ago.

'And if I know much about the Skaal... they are fine warriors and honest folk.' He said to hopefully alleviate Okuras anger towards the Companions, she seemed to have been wronged by them at some point and he didn't think it would be wise to leave this man behind if they were to fight the Thalmor.

Sienna looked the man up and down, and nodded respectfully. "Then your companionship is most welcome with us, Skaal. Your kind is an honourable one, and worthy adversaries. The last time I faced the Skaal, I almost lost my head, An impressive array of tactics for such a secluded people." She smiled every so slightly, listening to Okuras. "Rejected from the Companions were you? I'm not surprised... they are afraid of becoming out-matched by any who isn't a Nord." She turned her head to Grimskar. "With the utmost respect."

Balgruuf and Ra'Qassar concluded their conversation when the jarl noticed the group of newcomers in his great hall. He bid
Ra'Qassar to bring them, should they deign to talk. The jarl felt that they wanted to help. Ra'Qassar would wait patiently, as always, and perhaps this entire group would need to have the same conversation that the khajiit and the jarl had just had.
Ra'Qassar pondered over the jarl's words while he approached the group. This was no easy task. Indeed, it was the most difficult the jarl had ever asked of him, which was saying much. Ra'Qassar had managed to swallow his hatred for the legion enough to return to Balgruuf's service, but still felt a coldness between the two old friends. Erileth felt it to and took Ra'Qassar aside often to try and cheer him. She was bound only to Balgruuf, not his ideals. She sometimes felt similar about Ra'Qassar's distrust of the legion, but held her tongue in the jarl's presence. They needed to do what was best for the hold, not the legion, not the empire and not themselves.
As Ra'Qassar approached the group of adventurers he heard a quip from the noble looking imperial woman about the companions. His ears involuntarily flared back a bit at this, part out of his dislike of the legion and part out of his respect for the Companions. The Companions had offered him a place to stay, should he ever need it. He had taken them up on the offer once or twice, and it was implied that should he choose to do so, he may join the Companions. He never entertained this as people were his least interesting quarry.
"Companions also prefer ones with honor to their names already. Perhaps you were not yet proven, though I am sure you are capable." Ra'Qassar said to the argonian. He turned to the knight, "While your Empire and its gentry likes to parade around with honor while it tramples its people where necessary and convenient... With utmost respect." Ra'Qassar gave a crooked smile. Most folk didn't expect such bold disrespect from a Khajiit in Skyrim unless they were in a theives den. Ra'Qassar, though a rather solitary creature, had made a name for himself in Whiterun and enjoyed the run of the hold. As a thane he enacted vigilante justice where needed and garnered much respect from the hold's people. Outsiders who disrespected the rules or the culture always got a heavy dose of humility in his presence. He now addressed the group as a whole, "I am Ra'Qassar, thane of Whiterun, jarl Balgruuf wishes for you to speak with him. I imagine you have some business here about the war effort, otherwise, why would you be here? Should you be interested in aiding the hold, the jarl has an opportunity for you all." Ra'Qassar had the thick accent of most khajiit, but lacked the peculiar habit of referring to himself in the third person. Ra'Qassar didn't know any other Khajiit until he was nearly a man, and by that time his vocabulary and speech pattern was well developed, but the common tongue fit in his mouth oddly resulting in his Khajiiti accent.

"I was not given a chance to prove myself, Thane," Okuras hissed, "but that doesn't matter anymore. I need not prove myself to protect my homeland on my own. If the Jarl wishes us to help him, then let him speak, and I shall keep my silence."

Of a sudden, another Khajiit appeared, hanging from the rafters of Dragonsreach by her back legs. She peered down at the group below her with bright silver eyes and purred loudly, "Oooh...but Sandhya is curious. Scale-skin sought the Companions and was not allowed the chance to show her strength...so scale-skin hates all Companions?"

The Khajiit jumped down next to the thane, her golden-brown fur ruffling around her hide armor and her long mane swishing, "This one has little experience with organized no-furs...but would that not be the same as hating all Altmer because of the actions of the Thalmor?"

"My problems are my own, cat," Okuras replied, crossing her arms, "But since you've made it your business, I will explain. I do not hate the Companions...I simply find it ironic that one of them wishes company with me when I was refused the same."

The Argonian waved her hands in the air, "Water under the bridge. Now what is this about a job?"

"Yes!" Sandhya turned to stand beside Okuras, facing the thane, her lips parted in a wide, toothy grin, "This one is also curious. Sandhya would love to help."

Felix listened to the words of his companions, he preferred to stay out of it. He listened to the khajiit, a khajiit Thane was rare but Balgruuf was known for his acceptance. He turned his head to Sienna, 'I think you should be the one to speak for us Knight...' He said with a slight smile, it appeared that Balgruuf was waiting for them and he had words for them, a job offer it seems. He turned to Okuras and leaned in. 'Don't worry Okuras...' He said with a slight chuckle, 'They didn't want me either, I guess they were afraid I would see their ugly faces.' Felix's joke was dry but it was meant to lighten Okuras sour mood.

He smiled and continued to listen, what interested him was Balgruufs proposal and from what the Thane said it had something to do with the Empire.

The argonian's blathering had no effect on Grimskar's wish to join them, but he couldn't help but think how bitter this fishwoman must be.

"You speak of setting our petty differences aside, and yet you are obviously displeased with my presence. I am but one man; I do not represent the Companions. How about we just say that I have left them to lay down my life for this land? Just try to get over yourself argonian, and everything should go smoothly."

Walking to the Jarl's hall it seemed as though more added on to their group with each step, with a khajiit woman jumping down from the rafters no less! They would be in for quite an excitable journey it seemed, and now all that was left was to see just what the Jarl had in store.

Ra'Qassar lead the group to the jarl, he turned his head slightly to speak to the argonian, "That is exactly what I meant, argonian. The greatest flaw of the Companions is that they do not always give hopefuls a chance to prove themselves, that is what I meant. Nothing more." While the legion is happy to let you go kill yourself for a speck of dust or a nobles breadcrust. He thought vehemently. This knight made him agitated and she had barely spoke in his presence. Her gleaming armor seemed a reminder of the arrogance of the Empire and all of its pomp.

"The Empire is the least of my concern, Thane, My duty is to my fallen comrades, not the Empire, not it'd ideals, not it's politics, and certainly not It's adorned king... From my race and appearance alone you take too much. Apologies if my words offended you, they were simply intended to cheer the demeanour of my companion- Now I suggest we all move on from this quarrel with the companions and their Ideals, there is a city out there in ruins, yet we stand in here arguing over trivialities." Her tone was as cold and blunt as always, she had little concern for any of these goings on, nor did she care an ounce for this hostility the Khajiit Thane was displaying towards her, it was clear as crystal he resented the Empire from his little quips and odd looks he gave her, but from her shining armour and noble appearance he assumed too much- Sienna had abandoned her life as Imperial nobility years ago, and the Knight of the Nine were a separate sect all together. She supported the Empire in allegiance alone, not ideals, views, opinions, these were all her own. The Empire was the only thing in the way of total Thalmor domination, and she would certainly not turn away from them for their favouring of the rich. In truth her only desire was to avenge her fellows by destroying the Thalmor. Any Empire, be it Imperial or otherwise that could provide such a chance, would gain her support.

As Felix spoke of Sienna addressing the Jarl she gave a small nod. "As you wish." After the Thane had lead them to the Jarl's audience, Sienna bowed her head.

"Jarl Balgruff, it is an honour to speak with you at last- I am afraid I am not Imperial aid. I am Knight Commander Sienna Strident, of The Knights of the Nine... My duty is neither to the Empire nor it's people, My lord, and neither is it Skyrim. But I seek the end to this war, the end of these Thalmor, and if you require the blade of myself, or any of my new compatriots, simply point us in the right direction."