Wisdom of the Ancestors - An Elder Scrolls RP

AurianaValoria1

Adrynn smiled as the tall Imperial woman introduced herself. As he shook her hand, his eyes caught the blade at her side, and his brand flared with such pain Adrynn had to clench his fist and grit his teeth to stop a hiss of annoyance. Her sword was Daedric in origin, that much was certain, by both its appearance and Azura's warning.

"Heroes, did you say? And books? I would like to hear what this fanciful author has said about me," the Redoran said with a smile. "And there is no need to thank us for our assistance, we merely were helping even an unfair fight." Adrynn almost mentioned the irony of a Knight of the Nine carrying a Daedric weapon, but held his tongue, as he did not want to insult this fine warrior.

He noticed Sienna eyeing the carriage behind them. "If you are to backtrack upon yourselves, then let us accompany you as far as Whiterun," Adrynn proposed. "We are heading that direction anyways, and I think we all would be safer if we traveled together. What do you say?" He smiled, hoping they would agree, as this strange mix of adventurers intrigued him, and he would like to get to know more about them.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I am certainly not one to refuse the companionship of any noble soul in these dark times, especially souls such as your own, and I am sure my companions would be more than hospitable as we brave the paths together. There is just one... detail that needs to be resolved, and that is where our deceased companion is to be buried. I am willing to carry her back to the grove near Whiterun, but perhaps here, by the river, would be a little more fitting?" Sienna breathed a heavy sigh of sorrow as she glanced back to the body of Okuras, resting peaceful where Sienna had left her.

-----

A gentle, tickling breeze ever so slightly nudged the thick black spirals of the Worm Queens hair, wisps delicately falling about her face as she leant her chin upon the light-blue palm of her hand, elbows resting upon the solid white marble of her elevated balcony, overlooking the pristine gardens of the Imperial Palace, the bleached gravestones resembling tiny pebbles scattered on the vibrant green grass.

The scent that was so gently lifted from the queen and carried along by the wind was a sweet, rapturous scent, resembling strongly a blend of belladonna and deadly nightshade, it very much fit the personality of it's wearer with accuracy, seductive, alluring, deadly, and if one was not too careful; fatal. And like skooma, too much would destroy one's mind and reduce one to a penniless wreck. With a light sigh Morgiah pushed herself up from her relaxed position and made her way back inside her lavish chambers, long-nailed fingers wistfully tracing the balcony's edge as she went.

Inside the Dunmer's head a thousand thoughts collided with eachother, some remaining and some being destroyed for their invalidity. That was how she worked, the Black Queen, she analysed the ins and outs of every situation she was presented and worked through a process of elimination. Time consuming and tedious yes, but resulting in a carefully orchestrated action? Definitely. Blue fingers gripped the gilded chair that sat before a mahogany desk in the corner of the room, pulling it back with a loud scrape, and forcing it forwards with another once Morgiah had settled, as despite other luxuries, she had chosen not to lay down carpets in the marble chambers. The desk itself was stacked high with both tomes and odd bits and pieces of an arcane origin, but these were quickly brushed into a neat pile with little regard as she pondered over the journal in front of her. Her purple eyes took in the red tome as she decided what it was she was going to do with it... she wasn't just a simple refugee in this city anymore, she was a valuable politician with secrets many desired, and this thick journal, this account of her life for the past few years held details of not only her thoughts, but names, contacts, leads.

The answer was simple.

Taking the journal in one hand and and forcing the chair backwards as she rose, Morgiah set alight to the leather-bound book with magical flames, gently letting go to watch as it plummeted off the balcony, reaching the ground a scattering of ashes much to the bemusement of the Imperial Palace guard. With relief she recoiled back inside with a feeling that she had cut the strings to one of many weights tied to her in a metaphorical pool, for now at least, she'd be floating, but there was no telling what would attempt to drown her next, especially seeing the recent development of her plots.

Rebuilding the Blades? If there was anything that would drive the Thalmor to expand upon their resentment to a dangerous level, it would be finding out that not only the Black Queen was defying them again, but that she was a key in the lock that would open the path to resurrecting their greatest enemy. Morgiah was not, no matter the opinion of her in fashion at the time, foolish, and she would take every precaution ensuring that both herself, Velanya Therys, and whomever she recruited into the blades would remain incognito until the time came for the Council to reveal it's sanctioning of the order once again.

Getting them to do such a thing, well, that was why Velanya had Morgiah's help.

After a nights hard ride he arrived at Dawnstar, this ratty fishing village on the coast of the Sea Of Ghosts had become a home to him. When he rode through the city itself no one dared look him in the eye for they knew what he was but the salty old Jarl did, he stared directly into Aventus' eyes and he knew he was determined to see the assassin strung up on the deck of his ship but he never could prove what Aventus was. After his ride through the city he arrived at the Black Door, carved into the hard wood was the Red Hand Of Sithis and the mark of the Dark Brotherhood. He slid gingerly from Shadowmere and approached with the reins in his hand.

"What.. is.. life's.. greatest illusion." The door asked, the infernal voice echoing through his mind. Aventus smiled and replied. 'Innocence my brother...' The door creaked open to reveal a large tunnel the descended into the earth. "Welcome... Home..." It said as it opened, Aventus and Shadowmere entered and the door closed behind them.

Deep underground was the home of his budding family, Nazir frustratingly worked over the countless assassination orders to find those that held the most significance and urgency while the stream of others poured in daily, the old Redguard had gotten grey with worry but the dark haired Breton girl who hummed a tuneless song as she mixed alchemical ingredients ignored the frustrations of Nazir. Aventus smiled and removed his facemask and drew back his hood to reveal his handsome features, the Imperial had grown up in the dark recesses of the Falkreath sanctuary and this had become his home.

He tied off Shadowmere and tossed him some hay and walked down into the main room where Babette and Nazir were working, they had become his support team with Babette mixing his poisons and potions and taking contracts he could not fulfill and Nazir handling the assignments and logistics, in the years when he first met the Redguard he carried a scimitar but now he didn't carry it but it sat within reach.

Babette was the first to notice him but he wasn't surprised, slipping by a 300 year old vampire-child was no easy feat but every time he tried he got a little closer then before.

"Ah Aventus... I have something I want you to try out later... it is... bloody." She said as he walked by, Nazir stood and tossed him a bundle of letters.

"Here take this to Neralla... she can assign them out." He said hurriedly, Aventus grabbed a piece of bread from the table and stuck it between his teeth as he turned and left for the training room across the bridge. Before he even got to the wood-slat bridge he heard Neralla's booming voice as she drilled the recruits, in the last few months they had seen five new recruits which she had been brutally pushing. Neralla herself was a tall and burly Altmer that shaved her head as to look more like a man, said it helped her on her contracts but Aventus knew why. Many years ago she was a city guard in Markarth and while out on patrol she was attacked by Forsworn who captured and tortured her for days, in her imprisonment she performed the Black Sacrament and Aventus came to rescue her... she had nothing to offer but her loyalty and he accepted it after he gutted her torturer and her captors.

He tapped Neralla on the shoulder and gave her the contracts when she turned. 'Give these out... send the recruits on their first ones. Poor Nazir is going insane with all the letters we are receiving.' He said as he watched the two Khajiit twins who were practicing with wooden swords begin to brawl over which one was better. Aventus could only laugh... all those two did was fight with one another and bicker like children. Neralla took the letters and began reading them.

"A lot of these are old Brotherhood clients... it seems everyday we take more contracts from them." She said idly as she sorted them, Aventus chuckled. 'You speak like that's a bad thing, when your done meet me at the table I have some information for everyone.' He said as he turned and left. A few minutes later they were all gathered around the large table that seated over twenty with Aventus at the head. When all eyes were on him he informed them of his last contract much to the shock of some of his family.

"So your telling me Astrid didn't kill you when she had the chance..." Nazir said to finally break the lingering silence, Aventus nodded in reply. "Well... what are your plans for dealing with this?" He asked, Aventus knew they needed to recover the Night Mother. His father Uriel was the Listener and with her here it would infuriate Astrid.

'We find and recover the Night Mother...' And just then every assassin that had been sitting jumped up in shock, the reason they had survived for so long was that they did not possess the Night Mother and they agreed to never walk down that path again. Babette smiled and looked at Nazir, "I knew you would do this someday... I think I might know where she put the Night Mother but getting to it will not be easy..." She said as Aventus raised his hand for silence from the many voices that opposed his decision.

'Where is it?' He asked, the vampire girl smiled widely to reveal her fangs. "Deepscorn Hollow..." She replied...

Ra'Qassar assisted with the digging of the grave for their fallen companion, while he awaited for the more reverent comrades to give the final rights, he approached Adrynn and Faeryn. "My friends, for I feel that you are friends of mine indeed after such a fight, I look forward to travelling with you, but I must be blunt: I would like you to accompany us further. Whiterun still stands, but she has lost many of her favorite sons and daughters in this bloody conflict. This group of Thalmor was half, perhaps less, of the surviving agents that attacked the city. The rest fled north of Whiterun to the ruins of Labyrinthian. That is our next destination. I fear that the elves there will be more dangerous, even without the perils of Labyrinthian to contend with. I would forever be in your debt, Whiterun would forever be in your debt, if you could aid us in the pursuit of the rest of these scum. I know it is much to ask so soon, but I beseech you, think upon it. If you do this thing for us, I will gladly assist you in your mission if I can, whatever it may be." Ra'Qassar kept his voice relatively low, he did not want to undermine Sienna's authority in this situation, but he thought it best to put the bug in the warriors' ears sooner rather than later. He hoped that by the time the party reached Whiterun, the Dunmer would decide to accompany them, it was a great deal to hope for, but for some reason, he had utter faith in these two men. The name Adrynn sounded familiar to him, perhaps it was something that Rorik had mentioned before. The dragonborn, who was not the slayer of Alduin, was far more traveled than even Ra'Qassar and had told him many tales. Perhaps Ra'Qassar had even read of him, it was difficult to say.

------------------------------------------------------

A wake of blue energy rippled around Baltis as he strode through Labyrinthian. It took him several hours to traverse it, but the undead all stayed their blades as the lich's ethereal aura held them at bay. Llervu had to admit, the traps were clever, many ingenius in fact, they tested a wide range of magical knowledge. He suspected that there used to be some more hand-holding here in the form of the necessary tomes. Those musty volumes were long gone and he had to use his wits. A particular annoyance was a series of magical 'turrets' powered by soulgems that spat out various spells, most of which knocked him back quite well. He lacked any form of ward spell, other than amplifying his resistances to physical and elemental attacks, he normally found no use for them, but now he needed one to stop the shockwaves. He instead stood at a large distance and telekinetically seized the soul gems. He supposed that he could have easily unleashed a storm of energy to dislodge or destroy the gems, but that hardly seemed sporting. He continued through the dungeon without incident. The principal deadliness in Labyrinthian lied in the combinations. A trap would slow, disfigure or wound a mage, then the undead would rise to eliminate them. The traps on their own were not terribly dangerous, which was a trap in itself, the hordes of undead they enabled were. Due to his own undeath, Baltis had little to fear from the legions as he traversed this interesting puzzle box. Also requiring no sleep or rest, he made steady progress on his way to the end of the maze and the heart of Shalidor's old domain.

Faeryn nodded, "We will consider your request, of course."

He exchanged glances with Adrynn, saying nothing to the Redoran but knowing that the warrior was likely thinking the same thing as he. They already had an obligation to Velanya, and it would be unwise to delay...but at the same time, it would be of great benefit to pursue these Thalmor and put a stop to them before they threatened Whiterun again.

Sandhya, who had yet to introduce herself, sidled next to Adrynn and grinned again, "This one is known as Sandhya. Sandhya would also like to add her thanks for your help. This one is unfamiliar with your garb and your stories...Sandhya would like to know more sometime."

Adrynn smiled and nodded to Ra'Qassar's request. The glance he exchanged with Faeryn spoke of their unified thoughts. It was tempting for sure. But there was the matter of Velanya's urgent request for their help. The Redoran was torn between helping these new found comrades and helping his cousin. He was spared his thoughts momentarily as the Khajiit female he had noticed earlier stepped close to him and introduced herself.

He nodded. "A pleasure to meet you, Sandhya. Since it appears we will be traveling together, I have no problem sharing my stories with you, or anyone else who wishes to hear," the Redoran said. There was something infectious about the Khajiit's toothy smile, and he smiled in return. He had always held a soft spot for the feline race, partly due to his guilt at their enslavement to his race over the millennia, and partly because he just found them adorable. Though he never mentioned this to their face, of course. He couldn't imagine the insult it would be to a Khajiit to be called "adorable". Especially by a Dunmer. He sighed mentally. Some prejudices couldn't be broken.

He turned as the carriage he and Faeryn had rented lumbered up beside them, the driver hailing him. "Dunmer! I told you you might earn your trip with your blade! I was right, aye?" The old Nord took a long drag on his pipe and grinned, smoke escaping from his mouth.

"Aye, that you were," the Redoran said, pointing to the driver with his sword. "Do you think I can have my money back now?" He grinned, showing that he jested.

"Unfortunately, my sword slinging passenger, no refunds," the Nord said again, blowing a smoke ring at Adrynn. The Redoran smiled and climbed into the back of the wagon, laying his shield on a bench and grabbing his scabbard and sheathing his sword. He buckled the ebony longsword around his waist and slung his cloak around his armor, glad to feel the fur's warmth against the cold cloudy sky. He tucked his pack under the bench and slung his shield over his cloak by its long strap. With himself re-equipped, he stepped down off the carriage and limped over to Faeryn, silently cursing his leg.

"Blasted thing will never heal properly," he muttered, stopping at his previous spot. The carnage around him registered slowly. He nudged a fallen Thalmor's body with the toe of his boot.

"Well, before we depart, we must at least do something with these bodies," he said, glancing to the tall Knight of the Nine. "Even though they are our enemies, they must be disposed of properly. Would not your god Arkay agree?" He asked softly, his deeply red eyes holding his question.

"I should hope not, my Dunmer friend, these foul creatures forsook the divines a long time ago, and in return, the divines forsake them. I do believe the deepest pits of Oblivion are now host to their souls, I at least pray as much, the thought of monsters being punished has a way of helping one sleep at night when there is nothing else to keep you going. But I agree they cannot remain scattered about on the road." Sienna replied bluntly, and despite it, in an incredibly polite manner. Coating one's words was a gift of the Strident's it seemed, and even so there was an underlay sadness ever present. Turning to her other comrades she said "I would appreciate it if the strongest of you could gather all of the bodies and pile them up... I shall prepare the necessary spell to assist them in their transition to the next life." She was as cold as ever as she issued her 'request', aged face unmoving and stern as she gazed at the bloodied corpses.

"I should hope that one of the strongest would be me," Faeryn said with a sly grin at Sienna. But, when he bent down to pick up a body, he found it to be a lot heavier than he expected, and he ended up stumbling forward a bit before recovering his balance.

"Or not."

Felix smiled but kept out of the way, his blindness would only interfere but he walked over to Okuras' body and whispered a blessing of Arkay.

"Sweet Arkay... embrace this warrior into your arms and show her the beauty and serenity she so justly deserves." He prayed, he made the ten pointed star of Arkay across his chest and walked over to the group.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Svarn listened in on their conversation after he turned out the pockets of the Thalmor he had killed, he earned easily twice the bounty from killing these elves then he would earn from the bandits but when they mentioned Whiterun and the Thalmor attack he quickly became interested. If there were more Thalmor they were near Labryinthian they would need a guide up the mountains. He dug his woodcutter's axe Fjorlag into a piece of felled wood and grabbed the nearest Thalmor corpse and tossed it onto a pile.

'If you are heading into Hjaalmarch why don't I come with you?' He said as he grasped another Thalmor and added him to the pile.

Svarn swept back his hood to reveal his face, it had been hardened by time and rough living and his hair was coarse and thin from lack of washing properly, his hound didn't look much better. Fenrir had found himself a nice and wide stick and brought it to Svarn, the burly Nord chuckled and drew his knife, de-branched the stick and hurled it into the darkness and Fenrir happily gave chase. After tossing another corpse on the pile Fenrir came back dragging a broad-axe and set it down at his feet. Svarn picked up the axe and inspected it.

The haft had the words 'A Woodsman's Friend' carved into it and the head was heavier then it should be, the haft itself was a full three inches shorter, he flipped it around in his hands and found it to be very balanced despite these imperfections, he gave Fenrir a soft scratch behind the ear in thanks.

Ra'Qassar assisted with the shifting of the bodies, his slight form was dense with muscle making him much stronger than he looked. Most of the elves were in the lighter variant of their standard armor and had ditched the heavier portion of their kits anyway. It didn't take long with the large number of strong warriors present to pile up all the Thalmor bodies and the work was complete within the span of an hour. When that work was complete, Ra'Qassar approached Adrynn, his curiosity getting the better of him, "Serra, tell me, have you met a man that goes by Rorik Wind-Bane in your travels? I believe I have heard your name before, and I think it was from his mouth." Adrynn sounded so familiar to him, but he couldn't place why.

While Ra'Qassar waited near Adrynn, he sat upon a rock near the road and thoroughly cleaned his sword and shield and applied some fresh beeswax to his bowstring. He had crafted all but the sword himself and he was meticulous about keeping it all in good condition. They were his livelihood after all.